Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good afternoon,About 1 month ago I started to notice a few

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
About 1 month ago I started to notice a few grey shadowy spots in my vision - floaters. Over the last few weeks they've for worse to include a couple of "hairs" floating around in my peripheral vision. It's got the the point where I cannot ignore them. I have been to my opthamogolist and had a full eye exam with dilation and was told my eyes are perfectly healthy. I'm aware of how floaters occur but cannot believe how so many appeared so quickly and am concerned that I could get many more too.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ...These floaters are basically small flecks of protein called collagen , viterous contains millions of collagen fibers that shrinks and present with floaters . These are usually of no value and require no treatment , but if they rapidly increase in number or effect vision than Vitrectomy is advised . So keep eye on floaters if it effects your vision than revisit Eye dr and ask him/her for Vitrectomy.Regards ***** ***** luck .Please leave positive feedback for me .Thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am Dr. Rick and have two decades of experience as an ophthalmologist. I am a retina surgeon. Let me explain a bit what is going on: You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn’t improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case. What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases. In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.Does this make sense to you?I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it usual for them to appear as quickly as they did and in a great number? These are shadowy lines and dots that appeared pretty much overnight. My eye exam showed not PVD or retina detachment so I am unsure as to what caused them to appear so dramatically?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That can be from bleeding inside your eyeball but there is no way that an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) would miss something like that during a dilated exam. But, to directly answer your question: Yes they can show up all of a sudden like that.... From what you have posted, it sounds like you will be just fine. If you are just going crazy over the floaters then you can make an appointment with a retina surgeon and see if she feels the risks of vitrectomy are worth doing the surgery in your case. Does this make sense to you? I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thanks in advance,Dr. Rick MD FACS