Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Yesterday lunchtime my left eye started to have a sharp pain

Yesterday lunchtime my left eye started to have a sharp pain whenever i looked up without moving my head. The pain feels like it is coming from the top of my eye. it doesn't get worse if i hold the eye in that position if anything it goes away.
This lasted into the evening and when i woke it wasn't that bad and then went away but has come back.
No loss of vision or blurriness in the left eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you had a bout of common cold or sinusitis recently ( in the last week or two)?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

no such bouts

Customer:

but there is alot of that type of thing going around

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any headache or nasal congestion?

Customer:

slight headache but only once i have taken a painkiller

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you have any injury or trauma to the forehead recently?

Customer:

Not that i can remember

Customer:

the pain has reduced now when i move my eye to look upwards

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks like the pain is not arising from any intraocular cause ( vision is good). Since the eye is surrounded on all sides by four sinuses, sinusitis is the most common cause for such a pain( presently I am having a bad episode of pain behind my left eye from a bout of sinusitis :( ............). The pain must have subsided as you have taken an analgesic.

Customer:

i have not taken anything it just seems to come and go

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Okay.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Still it looks more like a mild bout of sinusitis ( though you might not had other symptoms such as nasal congestion/running nose).

Customer:

I have previously suffered from rhinitus, sorry i should have stated this

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How many days back?

Customer:

sorry i meant in my past medical history. 4 years ago and i have had a couple more bouts but nothing this year. I was just thinking that if i a suspetable to this does this confirm your diagnosis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. Yes, if there are many people around with upper respiratory infections such as rhinitis or sinusitis then you could have caught it( early symptoms).You can try symptomatic treatment in the form of steam inhalation at bedtime, Tablet.Sinarest, 1 tablet twice a day for 3-4 days. If symptoms persist beyond a week then do consult your ophthalmologist for a closer look at the eye.

Customer:

Excellent. Thank you for your help Doctor

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hope you get relief soon.

Customer:

Fingers crossed!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist