Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

how long does pingueculitis typically last? its been two weeks

how long does pingueculitis typically last? it's been two weeks and my eyes are still red.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Inflammation around a pinguecula or pingueculitis would require the use of non steroidal eye drops or low potency steroid drops such as fluromethalone or loteprednol. You can consult an ophthalmologist for an eye exam and start of prescription eye drops. In the meanwhile you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. Do not use any other OTC eye drops which ckaim to make the eye red free as they cause more problems than any good. Other precautions which you can take is to use sunglasses when outdoors and avoid being out in the sun for long/dusty environment.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Okay, but I'm worried. Is this permanent? Is outdoor exercise over for me? Please let me know

Hello Sean,

Pinguecula will stay just the same but its inflammation is temporary as it can be treated with eyedrops.
You can definitely continue with your outdoor exercise but use eye protective glasses. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

okay thank you. I guess the reason I'm worried is that I just move to a much drier and colder environment then where I used to live (near the equator). So my new environment is much different. But you're saying my eyes will adjust and the redness will subside?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

okay thank you. I guess the reason I'm worried is that I just moved to a much drier and colder environment then where I used to live (near the equator). So my new environment is much different. But you're saying my eyes will adjust and the redness will subside?

The pinguecula would have developed due to chronic exposure to the UV rays of sunlight when you were staying in the previous place, near the equator. The present redness will disappear with the suggested treatment. Please remember that the pinguecula will stay as a yellowish nodule forever. But it is not a serios problem of the eye and does not require any treatment.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

okay thank you! one more, so even if I continue with my normal lifestyle in this new environment (running, sauna yoga, biking) but with sunglasses of course, this redness will not be persistent. As in, I won't spend the rest of my life looking like I've been drinking all night? I'm okay with the small bump. It's barely noticeable, but it's this redness! it's bad.

Bingo! You got it absolutely right. Just remember to get non-steroidal or steroid eye drops from your eye doctor to get relief from the present redness. These are to be used for a brief period of 2 weeks, strictly with prescription. Avoid using them on your own as and when the eyes get red.
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince