Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello Dr. Desai, Last night I noticed what looks to me like

Hello Dr. Desai,

Last night I noticed what looks to me like a hair floating or hanging in the right upper field of my right eye. I don't see it if I close that eye. You think it is a vitreous detachment from what I read and that I need a retinal exam. Is that right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are absolutely right. It does appear like a symptom of vitreous detachment.

Customer:

what does that mean?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a brief note on posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers. The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice. PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer:

It seems to be a permanent thing and very annoying in that it interferes with my concentration. Though I am relieved it is not an emergency.

Customer:

I am severely myopic.

Customer:

though not diabetic.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it can be very annoying. The good part is that such floaters can drift out of vision and give symptomatic relief.

Customer:

It is true that when I blink the object sometimes drifts a little to the right, but it also drifts more centrally. It can extend almost three quarters of the way down, but never appears so far at least in the left visual field. It really does look like a hair attached to the top right of my field.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you may have to get used to it for a while until you get your eye examined. Since you have myopia, it would all the more be better to get a dilated eye exam of the peripheral retina also.

Customer:

Okay, I can't think of anything else to tell you. So if that is it I want to thank you and make an appointment through my medical clinc at OSU.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

My best wishes are with you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist