Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my eyes burn during the day. is it because I am looking at

my eyes burn during the day. is it because I am looking at the computer screen too much or because of contaminants in the air? also when there is wind, I usually have tears. can you let me know what the potential condition is and what i should do...

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also when I am in a windy environment , I usually have tears in my eyes. is this a symptom of dry eye and can be treated with eye drops.

Hello Tony,

Yes, it is quite often seen with dry eyes and can be treated with eye drops as suggested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went online to buy Refresh eye drops. I see there are the sterile bottles and also in single use packagings.

are the preservative free product only available in single use packaging or are the cheaper sterile bottle ones also preservative free.

You can buy the sterile bottle as it can last for a month.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but the sterile bottle is not preservative free, right? and preservative free is better but cost more??

Yes, preservative free Refresh tears comes in single use vials where as the multidose bial contains preservative. The former are better for those with moderate dry eyes and those with sensitive eyes.