Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

By mistake, I slept in a soft contact lens. When it was removed,

By mistake, I slept in a soft contact lens. When it was removed, it came off with suction, a snap, a piece broke off and pain. I noticed I was seeing double, a little, particularly when looking at something like a lamp or light fixture. I stopped wearing contacts and the pain went away. After about 10 days I kept seeing double, a bit, so I went to an eye doctor. He didn't see anything on the cornea, wants me to do retina scans and waveform scans and made the diagnosis of a presenile cataract (I am 55). I'm writing this question because it doesn't make sense to me that after snapping off a contact my diagnosis is a cataract. Is it possible there is surface damage to the cornea he isn't seeing with his device? How often would this be the case given my history? Is it common to use a dye to make a cornea problem easier to see?

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

The diagnosis of presenile cararact could have been an incidental finding. It is common to have double vision with such cataracts. However it wouldn't have had anything to do with snapping of the fontact lens. Yes, it is very common to use a dye to detect corneal lesions. It is especially useful to detect corneal abrasion s which might get missed otherwise.

If the cornea appears normal after the dye test, then I guess the double vision could be due tovthe cataract. However the cause of cataract needscto be looked for such as history of chronic steroid use, long term use of systemic problems, severe dehydration, diabetes, trauma.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Followup: I've been advised to have a retinal scan, and some prelasik type scans (waveform, photoscan) to diagnose my problem. I don't know if the dye was used already. No one said they were doing it. With the other drops they said things like "this drop will dialate your eye". How often are corneal abrasions associated with double vision undetectable with the slit lamp alone? Should I go back and try to get the dye.

Hello Steve,

Sorry for the delay in replying back. We are indifferent time zones.

First of all , there is no need for a dye test at his stage as the cornea would have healed in 10 days. If the cause for your visual complaint is due to the corneal lesion then you would have seen distorted images rather than double.I guess your ophthalmologist is investigating further to look for any macular lesion as he mut have noticed something during the dilated eye exam (such as a abnormal foveal reflex). The wavefront scan is a very accurate test for detecting any corneal alterations(better than the dye test). So it is better to go ahead with the tests as suggested by your ophthalmologist.