Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had an eye test recently and the optician said I had mild

I had an eye test recently and the optician said I had mild astigmatism in both eyes, with a little higher pressure in the left eye. They think this is due to angiopathy and have recommended I see a neurologist. I have had blurred and double vision for a few months. I'm 37. Is it possible to only have bad blood circulation in one eye? And is there anything I can do or take?

More info: My vision has always been very good (no glasses needed). My blurred vision seemed to start 4 months ago when I had an ear infection. I was taking a lot of antihistamines at the time.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes it is possible to have poor circulation in just one eye. However...
Dr. Dan B. : I highly doubt that optician has told you accurate information. Opticians do not have the training to know the signs of poor eye circulation. I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist to have a dilated examination to determine the status of the circulation situation in the eye.
Customer:

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned. During my visit to the opticians also I saw an ophthalmologist. He said I had slightly enlarged vessels. He said nothing major.

Customer:

In the left eye.

Dr. Dan B. :

Ah. Okay. Thanks for that information. For someone to have slightly enlarged blood vessels in one eye versus another is common and usually nothing to worry about at all.

Customer:

They mentioned about seeing a nuerologist. My main worry is the blurred/double vision.

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you wear prescription glasses or contact lenses?

Customer:

Do you think it likely to get better of its own accord? It's been 4 months.

Customer:

No, my sight has always been excellent.

Customer:

And my work involves close reading.

Dr. Dan B. :

Does the double vision go away if you cover either eye (one at a time)?

Customer:

Yes, double vision is only in my left eye. I see double vision on text and people's eyes on tv.

Customer:

I cover my left eye and vision is ok.

Customer:

Cover my right eye and I see double vision. It's varies from day to day.

Dr. Dan B. :

The double vision, then, is almost certainly because you have an uncorrected refractive error in that eye (in other words, you need glasses or contact lenses). This is nothing to worry about, but probably will not get better until you get the glasses or contacts.

Customer:

The doctor has prescribed glasses for close reading mainly aimed at astigmatism.

Customer:

So I'll get those and hope it does the trick.

Dr. Dan B. :

Sounds good.

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

So do you think it's an over reaction to go to the neurosurgeon?

Customer:

Sorry neurologist!

Dr. Dan B. :

Absolutely--from everything you've told me, I see no reason to go to a neurologist, especially if the ophthalmologist you saw didn't think you needed to.

Customer:

OK, thanks. I guess I'll get the glasses and see how ti goes for a while. Btw, I'm actually living in Moscow, Russia. So it's good to get a second opinion.

Dr. Dan B. :

I agree. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

Thank you!