Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Could a severe blow to the head cause the vision to have occurances

Could a severe blow to the head cause the vision to have occurances of black vision?

Could a severe blow to the head cause graduel blindness?

Could a severe blow to the head cause the vessels of the eyes to be filled with fluid?

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Severe blow to the head can cause a bruise around the eye (Black eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be injury to the optic nerve ( traumatic optic neuropathy) which can cause reduction in vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Injury to the optic tract/radiation/occipital cortex ( are part of the visual pathways which are essential for normal vision), can result in visual field defects.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the injury to the head had involved the eye too, then there can be a possibility of macular edema ( fluid build up in the central part of the retina).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There can be other eye signs of head injury such as pupil abnormalities, ocular nerve paralysis.

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Severe head injury can cause vitreous hemorrhage ( in predisposed individuals).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I have sent a few replies and I hope you have been going through them.

Customer:

I have ask my questions. What action should I do/

Customer:

I have ask my questions. what other actions should I do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you asking questions for a recent head injury which you have suffered? If so, how long ago was the injury? Did you go to the ER immediately? What investigations were done?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry but I did not receive any reply from you for my last question.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have visual problems following a severe head injury then you must consult a neuro-ophthalmologist specifically for a detailed evaluation and treatment.

Customer:

Does "In Chat" mean that you are ready to chat now. If so do we chat on this e-mail?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am already chatting with you......

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We are very much in the middle of a chat session.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I have been sending you replies to every question you have asked.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you able to read them??

Customer:

So far no typing has appeared on my screen

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There must be a problem in the chat system. Let me switch over to Q&A in that case.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you for your patience.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Faye,

It is unfortunate that you were not able to see any of the replies sent so far. I am sending them once again for your benefit-

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Severe blow to the head can cause a bruise around the eye (Black eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai : There can be injury to the optic nerve ( traumatic optic neuropathy) which can cause reduction in vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai : Injury to the optic tract/radiation/occipital cortex ( are part of the visual pathways which are essential for normal vision), can result in visual field defects.

Dr. A.S. Desai : If the injury to the head had involved the eye too, then there can be a possibility of macular edema ( fluid build up in the central part of the retina).

Dr. A.S. Desai : There can be other eye signs of head injury such as pupil abnormalities, ocular nerve paralysis.
Customer: Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Severe head injury can cause vitreous hemorrhage ( in predisposed individuals).

Dr. A.S. Desai : Yes, I have sent a few replies and I hope you have been going through them.
Customer: I have ask my questions. What action should I do/
Customer: I have ask my questions. what other actions should I do?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you asking questions for a recent head injury which you have suffered? If so, how long ago was the injury? Did you go to the ER immediately? What investigations were done?

Dr. A.S. Desai : Sorry but I did not receive any reply from you for my last question.

Dr. A.S. Desai : If you have visual problems following a severe head injury then you must consult a neuro-ophthalmologist specifically for a detailed evaluation and treatment.
Customer: Does "In Chat" mean that you are ready to chat now. If so do we chat on this e-mail?

Dr. A.S. Desai : I am already chatting with you......

Dr. A.S. Desai : We are very much in the middle of a chat session.

Dr. A.S. Desai : I have been sending you replies to every question you have asked.

Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you able to read them??
Customer: So far no typing has appeared on my screen

Dr. A.S. Desai : There must be a problem in the chat system. Let me switch over to Q&A in that case.

Dr. A.S. Desai : Thank you for your patience.
I hope that you were able to see all the replies now. Please let me know if you had any more queries to ask.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have typed my main question of vision [not black around the eye],

could we continue our chat

We are out of chat( since it had a problem) but we can continue to interact via short text messages from this message box.

Q-Could a severe blow to the head cause the vision to have occurances of black vision?
A-Severe head injury can cause vitreous hemorrhage ( in predisposed individuals).This can cause sudden loss of vision ( dark vision).

Q-Could a severe blow to the head cause gradual blindness?
A-There can be injury to the optic nerve ( traumatic optic neuropathy) which can cause reduction in vision.Injury to the optic tract/radiation/occipital cortex ( are part of the visual pathways which are essential for normal vision), can result in visual field defects.
Q-Could a severe blow to the head cause the vessels of the eyes to be filled with fluid?
A- If the injury to the head had involved the eye too, then there can be a possibility of macular edema ( fluid build up in the central part of the retina).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

May I ask one more question? Can thyroid problems cause fluid build up in the brain and visual blindness?

Thyroid problems can affect vision in the latter part of the disease due to optic nerve compression.Thyroid problems can cause myxedema coma ( in hypothyroidism).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much. I hope you have a blessed day. Once again I ask you to consider reducing my fee out of kindness. I will be glad to recomend your service to others.

Hello Faye,

I am glad to know that you found my answers satisfactory.Thank you.

I am just an eye expert working on this site and do not have any liberties regarding charging of the fees.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

May God bless you.

Thank you . Have a good day!

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince