Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am 47 years old and went up to a strength 2.75 for reading

I am 47 years old and went up to a strength 2.75 for reading glasses. Isn't this too much vision loss for my age? Im concerned by the time I am sixty, their will not be strong enough lenses for me for reading.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Have you ever been prescribed prescription glasses before?
Customer:

Yes, ive progressed over the years and started , gee, two years ago but longer than that using drugstore glasses

Customer:

Two years ago had my first rx, and skipped last yezrs exam so after thectwo years passed, I jumped to 2.75

Customer:

2.75 reading / 1.0 long distance, night driving usage

Customer:

If you have answered, I did not receive it. Thank you

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry. We had a tornado siren go off in our neighborhood and we had to take cover for a while.
Customer:

Are you safe?

Dr. Dan B. : It seems like the problem is that you are starting from a base of being farsighted. Because your distance vision requires one diopter of farsightedness to correct, your presbyopia just compounds the problem. So you are correct. It may be that later on in life you may need actual prescription glasses because the over-the-counter readers cannot go high enough.
Dr. Dan B. : Thanks for asking. It seems like for the next little while we're out of the woods.
Customer:

Where may I ask? Sounds stressful. Ive heard the news

Dr. Dan B. : I'm in Tennessee.
Dr. Dan B. : Did what I say make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Maybe a little hazy about my tendency to see far complicates the near vision issue. That is so? How? All I care is if they will make a rx strong enough for me read when im much older.

Customer:

Sorry you are experiencing such weather threats. My issue today pales in comparison for what you are going through

Dr. Dan B. : For your distance vision, it seems as though you are farsighted. In other words, just to see in the distance, you require plus lenses, the same type you use for your reading. But when you consider that you need extra focusing power for up close in addition to what you use for distance, you may find later in life that because you have an additive need for plus lenses, your need may exceed that of regular OTC readers.
Customer:

Sorry, I dont need distance glasses. I dont feel I need thdm, my decline feels minimal, but I took them if I need it for night driving

Customer:

Ive never worn them

Dr. Dan B. : I get what you're saying. You can get by without them for distance vision. But the fact that you were prescribed them means that even though you can focus through that mean for distance, it becomes a factor when you're looking at things up close. You're unable to focus through both your distance need and your near vision needs by yourself and therefore require the OTCs up close. But despite the fact that you get by for distance vision without the glasses, the fact remains that you have a mathematical existence of the refractive error for distance which then becomes additive mathematically to the near vision strength you need now.
Customer:

Okay. Thank you. Is this uncommon? wHat is the highest rx strength for reading?

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry. I know this is kind of a difficult concept to understand & it is even more difficult to explain. Many people have a need for distance glasses that they do not fill because they can get by without it. But then that need for distance glasses becomes a factor when adding to that the need for focusing power additionally for near vision.
Dr. Dan B. : This is not uncommon at all. In fact it is very very common.
Dr. Dan B. : I think the highest over-the-counter strength that I have seen available for reading is a +3.50
Dr. Dan B. : Regardless, if your need goes higher than that, then you can always get a pair of prescription glasses that can be made to whatever your needs are.
Customer:

I do understand, and realize its not a straight forward concept. Yet, I believe you.

Customer:

I wrote rx, which meant prescription strenght for reading. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, I saw the max for OTC, thanks

Dr. Dan B. : Oh, sorry I didn't quite get that. Prescription glasses can go up to it +20.0 if needed. That is likely exceedingly more than you ever need.
Customer:

I just wondered if I would exceed the prescription strength with this close up issue of decline.

Dr. Dan B. : It is virtually impossible to exceed what is available in prescription strength.
Customer:

I hate to push this, but wow, that's high. Do people ever loose response rate due to age for corrective lenses?

Customer:

You were not required to evacuate? N o more questions on this end.

Dr. Dan B. : When I said that plus lenses go up to 20.0, this is never given for somebody just for presbyopia. This is given to people who have an exceedingly high farsightedness for distance vision. The need for extra farsightedness for reading gradually increases up until the age of about 65 when it plateaus & stops increasing. For the average person that has no farsighted prescription for distance vision, the usually only require about a +2.75 or a +3.00 at most for near vision tasks even after the age of 65.
Dr. Dan B. : No, no evacuation necessary for us, at least right now. Thankfully.
Customer:

Thanks for easing my concern. I thought at this rate of decline, I would exceed the available options. I was in hurricane sandy last year, so I hope you and fsmily remain safe.

Dr. Dan B. : Thank you. I hope this has been helpful. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology