Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

It is some what complicate...I am NOT crossed eyed. However,

It is some what complicate... I am NOT crossed eyed. However, due to retinal detachment, my left eye does not see in the same direction as the right. Example: when looking at a light source (at night driving), right eye sees it in front, left eye sees it DOWN-RIGHT. Thus my prescription included prism correction, OUT 3 + 3 and U/D 3 + 3 . So far so good, almost. Recently I got Glaucoma in my right eye, so my left needs to be the dominant viewer. My new optometrist decided to prescribe no OUT and 6 DN in my write eye. It works almost well: I do not see double except when I am tired. Also, I have the feeling that I am always tilted forward. And the worse, having progressive, I have to tilt my head forward (we did adjust the frame). To my analytical mind, I think that the left eye should get prism to correct the viewing axis to the center of the lens (where the pupil is seen) and that will solve some of my problems. But my Optometrist says that "adding prism deteriorate the vision correction and I need max clarity" Shall I insist on having prism?  [email protected]

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Your optometrist is correct: Adding a lot of prism to the lens can cause decreased clarity of the image.

That being said, it is your glasses, your eye and your money. If you want the prism split between both lenses you are well within your right to demand it be done that way.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS