Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had some questions regarding a recently diagnosed pingue

I had some questions regarding a recently diagnosed pinguecula
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. How can I help you?
Customer:

hi

Customer:

yes I was recently diagnosed with two pinguecula in both eyes

Customer:

I'm 26 and recently got back from serving in the Peace Corps

Customer:

I lived in the Dominican Republic and spent a lot of time outdoors without proper eye protection

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Thanks for that information. What questions can I answer for you?
Customer:

I'm really, very concerned, as my doctor didn't really have much info to give me about this condition, nor do many websites have much info.

Customer:

my question would be is this pinguecula always going to be red like it is now?

Customer:

and why has it never been an issue in the past?

Customer:

and Is this common for someone my age?

Dr. Dan B. : First, a little background information for you. These are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.These spots generally lie at the edge of the white and colored parts of the eyes. Sometimes they can become inflamed and need some anti-inflammatory drops to calm down the inflammation, but for the most part they are generally innocuous. On occasion can flatten out and spread over the cornea and it is then called a pterygium. These are also generally innocuous, but can sometimes be very irritating and can affect the vision either by growing in front of the vision or changing the shape of the eye and therefore the need for glasses. Sometimes these yellow spots can be conjunctival cysts, which are just fluid-filled collections that are also usually innocuous; they may get bigger over time, but are also just as likely to decrease in size and go away. Artificial tears are a good thing to take if either of these are bothering you. They are usually not surgically removed unless there are significant symptoms not alleviated by topical medications, because they both have a decent chance of growing back.
Dr. Dan B. : These are as common as freckles or dental cavities. And they are common at any age. As to why they are red now, there are a variety of factors that likely combined to cause them to be irritated right now. But it is very common, and this usually resolves with consistent use of artificial tears and maybe the occasional use of a prescription steroid drop.
Dr. Dan B. : They are so common, and usually so very innocuous, this is why your doctor did not seem concerned at all about it.
Customer:

well both mine became very inflamed upon my arrival to new mexico, is this due to the shift in weather? and now that I have them do I have to be careful when say exercising in the outdoors?

Customer:

Or when I practice 'sauna' yoga and there's a shift in the air moisture similar to the shift I experienced coming back from my service?

Customer:

and why has no one ever heard of them?

Dr. Dan B. : It's likely the change in climate, allergens, humidity and or pollutants. This is very common.
Customer:

sorry, I know I'm being dramatic haha, but the name and my research on the internet freaked me out a little. as well as no one having heard of them. I was concerned as, being very young, these would cause significant eye redness and effect things like, school and job interviews, dates, etc..

Customer:

and the internet is full of other people freaking out and considering surgery

Customer:

but since you're saying they're usually innocuous and so common, really I don't have to worry a whole lot…. even from a cosmetic standpoint?

Customer:

as in…. it's not going to grow and become like one of those scary pictures a google search always turns up?

Dr. Dan B. : You're right. Don't freak out about this. Its very likely not to be any concern and it is very unlikely they will grow to be anything a cosmetic concern.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

well, I guess not. The final one would be, why are so many people so unaware of these? do doctors usually just not even say anything about them, being that thye

Customer:

re so innocuous?

Dr. Dan B. : that's exactly right. They almost never mentioned them because they are that innocuous.
Customer:

okay. thank you

Customer:

I appreciate it

Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology