Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Rick: I had cataract surgery Oct. 2nd and had to have

Hi Dr. Rick:
I had cataract surgery Oct. 2nd and had to have the PC IOL repositioned 19 days ago. I see fine for distance but when looking at any light source I see sharp protrusions of light. Two are especially long. I also see a large halo around lights at night that look like a sea urchin with dozens of spines on it. I am also now seeing what I think is the IOL in my eye when I turn my head up so the light from a light source shines through the pupil at an angle. The ophthalmologist says the lens is in the bag but he did not do the surgery. My regular opthamologist said it was not in the bag. The Dr. who saw me after the surgery said the flaring would probably go away over time. Would reading for hours a day on my iPhone cause these problems? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Reading on your iphone is not causing the problem.

You may have swelling of your cornea from the surgery. If this is the case it should resolve over the coming few weeks or so.

Continue using your drops as directed and do not panic....it is still early in the post-op period and there is a lot of healing yet to do.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am I seeing the IOL through my pupil? Is this a problem? I'm afraid
that the lens is becoming out of position again but do not trust the
Opthamologist who examined me and then assigned my surgery to
some other Dr. who I never met. I have an appointment to see the opthamologist I have gone to for years in two weeks. Should I panic as the flaring appeared a couple of days AFTER the repositioning and has gotten progressively worse since. Thank you!
Carol,

If your pupil is real large, it is possible you could be seeing the edge of the IOL.

If a ophthalmologist said the lens is in the bag and centered, then I bet it is.

There is no need to panic...See what your regular eye MD has to say in two weeks...

If you think things are getting worse and it is driving you nuts then, by all means, either get in to see the doctor who did the surgery, or your regular ophthalmologist in a timely fashion.

So. What is the take home message? Don't panic.....yet :)

Make sense?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest