eyemd45
eyemd45, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  I am a board certified ophthalmologist. I work full time with a focus in cataract and refractive surgery.
75785859

In August of this year, I had cataracts removed in both eyes

In August of this year, I had cataracts removed in both eyes within one week of each other. My left eye was first and after the local anesthesia wore off, about 3 hours, I noticed a sort of blind spot or numbness on my upper eyelid. I called the office and was told not to worry and since I have a post op scheduled for the following day, it will be checked out. During the check-up I was told all is well and continue the eye drops and so on.The numbness or blind spot was still had not changed. The second week of my post op, I mentioned this again and was told to see my MD. I went to urgent care and she guessed that this must be a sinus infection and gave me some antibiotics. This was in September and the heaviness n the eyelid is still there.
Spoke to the Target eye Doctor who had referred me to this clinic and asked her if it could be possible that during the anesthesia a nerve in the eyelid could have been injured. Her response was nearly insulting by saying that quote: You probably always had it, but because of the cataract you did not notice.
The problem is in the eyelid not in my eye. When lifting my eyelid, I do not feel the blind spot.
Here is my question, if a nerve was damaged in the eyelid, will it take time to heal and nothing has to be done, or can this get worse? Thank you for your help
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyemd45 replied 1 year ago.

During intraocular surgery, an eyelid speculum is used to keep the eye open during surgery. Sometimes, the eyelid speculum can cause ptosis (droopy eyelid). This results from the speculum disinserting one of the muscles in the eyelid that works to elevate the eyelid.

Normally, we usually wait about six months following the surgery to see if the position of the eyelid returns to normal. If the ptosis persists beyond six months from the date of the surgery, then an eyelid surgery can be done to re-attach the muscle and elevate the position of the eyelid. This surgery is usually done by an Ophthalmologist who specializes in Oculoplastic surgery. This surgery is commonly performed and usually has excellent results.

Experience: I am a board certified ophthalmologist. I work full time with a focus in cataract and refractive surgery.