Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I recently moved to San Francisco, and ever since Ive moved,

I recently moved to San Francisco, and ever since I've moved, I wake up with painfully dry and red eyes. The only relief has been putting natural eyedrops in my eyes in the morning, and that immedietely relieves the pain. Is there anything else I can do to prevent the dry eyes? What could be causing it?

I got Lasik earlier this year, but the dry eyes wasn't an issue until 2 months ago when I moved. I am 30. The heater in the living room is sometimes on, but we turned off the heater in our bed room in case that was the issue, but it hasn't made a difference.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

One of the possibilities for dry and red eyes in the mornings is meibomitis. It is the inflammation of the meibomian glands in the lids which are kind of modified sebaceous glands. These glands are required for proper functioning of the lipid layer of the tear film. Thus its inflammation can cause dry eyes. Apart from this it can cause puffy eyelids too. Treatment is in the form of sikple remedies which are slow to show improvement but very effective.

Many appropriate systems of eyelid hygiene exist, and all include variations of 3 essential steps. First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals  are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.   •Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as  crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful.   •Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

You can also use OTC lubricating eye droos duch as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day for a month.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. Would the same remedies apply if the dry eyes are due to too much computer usage? I just realized that could be the issue.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Yes, excessive hours in front of the computer can result in dry eyes. In addition to the above remedies and lubricating eye drops, you can try taking a mini break every 15 to 20 minutes while using the computer.

Here is a brief note on dry eyes-
Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.