Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is there any way to diminish sensitivity to light after sh

Is there any way to diminish sensitivity to light after shingles
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : If you have not seen an ophthalmologist since the diagnosis of the shingles has happened, I would strongly suggest that you see your ophthalmologist. While general medicine doctors are usually quite competent, their ability to diagnose problems in the eye without specialized equipment that your ophthalmologist has is very low. The fact that you are light sensitive, strongly suggests that there may be shingles going on in your eye. If so, treating this should improve the light sensitivity. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Yes....there is no issues inside my eye itself other than the light sensitivity. My eyesight is fine, I have an itching sensation around my eye brows and eye lashes but nothing within my eye. There is no redness

Customer:

Also, I am told the shingles has passed and I am now suffering from postherepetic neugralgia

Dr. Dan B. : I can understand that the lack of redness and the normal vision would lead you to believe that there is nothing going on inside the eye, but I have seen shingles affecting the eye in very similar situations despite a white eye with normal vision. The fact that you are light-sensitive, and that you have pain around the eyes are very strong indicators of there maybe something going on inside the eye. Because of the significant damage the shingles can do in the eyes if left untreated, again, I would suggest that you go see your ophthalmologist. Shingles that happens around your eyes and not in your eye should not cause lightsensitivity. If your eye is light-sensitive, there has to be something wrong with your eye to cause this.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Could you give me some idea of the type of treatment I might expect to receive if it is determined that Shingles is present in my eye

Dr. Dan B. : If there is shingles in your eye, you would likely need steroid treatment and usually it is in drop form. I see that you have rated me as having given you poor service. Is there a reason why you've rated me as such? I've done my level best to give you my professional opinion as an ophthalmologist and to direct you to I feel is in your best interest for your personal safety and health. I'm still available to answer your questions or concerns.
Customer:

I did not mean to give you a poor rating. I tried to contact Just Answer to have it changed. Please advise as to what I can do to correct this problem. Thanks....I intended to give you an excellent rating

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, no problem. I understand having thick fingers on the mouse or keyboard (I have them many times). Unfortunately, I do not think we are going to know exactly what you need until you see the ophthalmologist. You need to contact yours if you have one, and if you don't have one, try to get into see one. See if your general medicine doctor can get you into see one any sooner than you may be able to procure an appointment. Just be sure to tell them you have shingles and that the eye is light sensitive and painful. My bet is that you're going to need steroid drops for that eye. Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

My last question and thanks for your help. Should the steroid drops offer immediate relief from the sensitivity. It is driving me crazy.

Dr. Dan B. :

I would expect that within 24-48 hrs on the steroids, it would significantly diminish your light sensitivity, yes.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology