Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have been having migraines for the past 3 years (not before).

I have been having migraines for the past 3 years (not before). I am 48 and female. I have been having about one a week for the past 12 weeks. I hadn't had one before that for 6 months. I have ocular migraines but what is different now is that all of these recent migraines have been triggered by coming into a house from the outside. The visual changes happen within 2-3 minutes (wavy lines in my vision which leads to almost blindness for about an hour accompanied by aphasia). Does this sudden change in migraine trigger anything to be concerned with? Should I get my eyes checked?
Thank you for your time.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. :

Have the migraines always been accompanied by aphasia? Since the onset of the migraines have you had a workup by a neurologist? An MRI?

Customer:

Yes. I had an MRI a little over 3 years ago after my first migraine because I thought I was having a stroke. I forgot to mention that sometimes I get numbness in my face, usually around my mouth, lips, tongue and nose and also in my left hand. I do see a neurologist but I am concerned by the change in trigger. My neurologist sent me to a pain specialist to inject two nerves in my head with a steroid. He wasn't able to hit the nerve and it didn't do anything but leave a lump on my head for several weeks.

Dr. Dan B. :

Have the migraines also been accompanied by aphasia all along or is that new?

Customer:

I get aphasia every time I have a visual disturbance. I can understand people but I can not read, especially out loud (it comes out gibberish) and what I am thinking is not what I say.

Customer:

The aphasia is not new. I have had it all along.

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay, I will say the fact that your migraines are associated with signs that are characteristic of a stroke are much more concerning to me than the change in triggers--those are going to shift around a bit throughout your life. However, the fact that you've had a thorough workup by a neurologist and are still under his/her care makes me less worried about these complicated migraines that you have. But no, I wouldn't necessarily be worried about a change in triggers.

Dr. Dan B. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Just turning on the lights when I get home triggers a migraine especially if someone turns on the light and then turns it back off and on again. Does this seem to have anything to do with my eyes or just something I will have to deal with. I have a lot of floaters and my eye sight has gotten worse recently. Could be my age. I just want to make sure that you don't see a reason to have my eyes checked.

Dr. Dan B. :

No, I don't see a reason to have your eyes checked. Of course, if it's been several years since your last complete, dilated eye examination it couldn't hurt. But no, this doesn't make me worried about something in your eyes causing this, unless you are having eye symptoms such as redness, pain, light-sensitivity and so forth. The eyes are just the unwilling entry way to the brain of a trigger for your migraines.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you.

Dr. Dan B. :

My pleasure.

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

No. Thank you.

Dr. Dan B. :

You bet. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!