Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have worn glasses for 60 years. Now that I have had cataract

I have worn glasses for 60 years. Now that I have had cataract surgery, I no longer have to wear glasses for distance but need them for reading. I am finding this to be a difficult transition.

Is it possible to have glasses made with clear glass, seamless bifocals and transition lens and would they be acceptable to use?

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That can be easily done.

Dr. Rick :

As a matter of fact that is what I am wearing now.

Dr. Rick :

I do not need glasses for distance but I've lived long enough to need them for reading, using the computer, seeing the car dash etc. So I had a pair of progressive "bifocals" made with just plain glass on top.

Dr. Rick :

Works great and I don't have to keep looking for my glasses as they just stay on my face :)

Dr. Rick :

Any optical shop can do this for you....I'm not sure if you need a Rx or not as I just ordered mine :)

Dr. Rick :

and as a MD they didn't even question my order....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick says:
11:04 AM
11:04 AM
Yes. That can be easily done.
11:05 AM
11:05 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
11:05 AM Customerhas stepped out of this chat.
Dr. Rick says:
11:05 AM
11:06 AM
11:06 AM
11:07 AM
11:07 AM
Does this make sense to you?
11:07 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Someone with experience with what I would like to do to find my comfort zone is comforting indeed! Thank you for confirming the idea that I had.

Joyce,

My pleasure. Have a good week :)

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS