Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I received a strong hit to my eye over the weekend and have

I received a strong hit to my eye over the weekend and have developed a large black eye. There's swelling and today there's some blood in the white part of my eye. I am able to see through the eye but it is a little blurry. I feel ok, just the area is sore and swollen. Do I need to do anything more?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me a bit more about how/what hit you?

Dr. Rick :

Is it painful for you to look at the sun or light?

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by "a little blurry"?

Customer:

It's hard to explain but it was a closed adult fist. It is not painful to look at bright light or the sun. When I look out that eye only, I can see, but objects are not completely in focus. With both eyes open, they are in focus.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all the blood on the white part of your eye is called subconjunctival hemorrhage. It might just be from the force of the fist. Although, with trauma, you always have to worry that the eyeball may be ruptured.....

Dr. Rick :

But, if this were true, your vision in most cases, would be way down....so this is probably not what is going on in your eye...

Dr. Rick :

That being said, I am concerned that your vision is affected, even though it seems to be just a little bit at this time.

Customer:

I also have an area of swelling to the side of my eye, which is the point of contact. It has gotten smaller since the hit. It's soft and pliable.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do would be to see an ophthalmologist today for a complete eye exam. When it comes to your vision it is better to err on the side of caution and have it checked out.

Dr. Rick :

That area may be blood and tissue swelling....probably not a problem.

Dr. Rick :

But your should have an eye exam....

Customer:

OK. I was leaning that way anyway. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS