Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have recently had a new problem arise, depending on the side

I have recently had a new problem arise, depending on the side I sleep on. I have a lot of fluid under my eyes when I wake up in the morning. Not jut a slight bump but a significant "'swelling under the eyes. I have tried creams, Jels, ice , heat. Whatever you can think of. Any idea why this is suddenly happening now? I am a 52 yr old female. Thanks
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Is there fluid/swelling anywhere else or just under your eyes?

Does the swelling go away during the day? If so, how long does it take?

Do you have any other symptoms/pain etc?

How long has this been going on for?

How tall are you and about how much do you weigh?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Please do your best to address the questions above....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have Crohn's disease and Lupus. I do take medications but none have changed in past years. Sometimes the swelling goes inward toward my tear duct mostly the fluid is inder or toward the outside of my under eye area. It is so full I can push a leave a hige fingerprint. It does get better as the day goes on but by evening there is still fluid. It seems to move lower under my eyes and settle there. No pain, it has been about a month and I am 5'4" and weigh 110lbs.

Hope that helps

Thank you for that extra information.

Given your history it is possible that these fluid shifts are due to kidney problems or some of your medications, even though they have not changed in years.

From your post it seems like the fluid under your eyes goes away during the day. As such you should take carefully in-focus pictures of the swelling and bring them to your doctor for an evaluation.

It would even be better if your doctor could examine you with the fluid present, but this may not be possible.

In any event, you should have some lab tests done and discuss this issue with your MD.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS