Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had strabismus surgery for a right hyperphoria four days

I had strabismus surgery for a right hyperphoria four days ago. I had eyestrain, headaches, and intermittent double vision before the surgery. The surgeon basically resected the right inferior rectus by 4mm. During the post-op checkup, the doctor found 0 PD hyperphoria and 20 PD exophoria.

However, I notice that I still get headaches and eyestrain post-surgery. Studying for class is nearly impossible unless I close an eye. I can see two possibilities for why this is so: either it is the exophoria that is causing it, or the surgeon overcorrected.

The reason why I suspect that latter, is that during the past few days, when I wake up in the morning, I notice double vision for the first 10 minutes or so. The double vision is such that the image from the right eye is above that of the left eye (right hypo). After 10 minutes or so of having both eyes open, my vision returns to single.

This leads me to be concerned about the possibility that the surgeon overcorrected the right hyperphoria, and my eyes now have to put extra effort into keeping the image single, negating the effectiveness of the surgery.

Does this transient morning double vision suggest overcorrection? Or is it to be expected after such a surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

You are very early into your postop course of healing.

It is good that your are able to already fuse into a singe field of vision. This means that your surgery went well and, most likely, you will not need another operation.

Concerning the possibility of over or under correction, it is common practice to be over corrected immediately after strabismus surgery. With time and healing things will then come back to.

So. What is the take home message? What you are experiencing is completely normal 4 days after strabismus surgery.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

Is the surgery reversible, if it's the case that it's the cause of my eyestrain and headaches?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Joey,

Not easily......and sometimes not at all.

But, give things time. I bet your will have single vision as things heal and your eyestrain and headaches will resolve....

Don't panic. Yet. :-)

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Do you think the exophoria could be causing the eyestrain and headaches?

For some reason, it increased in angle after the surgery, from 10 (or so) to 20. Have you ever seen that happen, and do you know why it is so?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Joey,

Yes, that is a distinct possibility along with the effort you are putting out to fuse the images at this point.

That being said, the fact that you are able to fuse things 4 days after surgery is a very good thing.

You may have to use some tylenol etc for the headaches for a bit while your eyes heal and things get easier to fuse.

So. What should you do right now? Stop worrying. It sounds like you are doing very well after your muscle surgery.....

Make sense?

See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest