Kmad3412, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Ophthalmologist with fellowship training in the areas of oculoplastic surgery and neuro-ophthalmology.

For a while now, whenever I close my eyes I see very clear

For a while now, whenever I close my eyes I see very clear pictures of people I don't know and places I've never been. I might be standing in a residential area and looking a houses on a street corner, or I walk around the corner and see people sitting on a bandstand. Crazy. And when my eyes are open, I see things move in my peripheral vision that aren't moving. It's becoming unsettling. What could cause these things? The only thing I can think of is that I have been on Effexor for several years. Any ideas? Thanks

Kmad3412 :

hello and thank you for your question. I have a few questions for you. Are you taking any other medications? Do you have any other visual or eye problems? How many hours of sleep do you get each night? Do you have any other symptoms such as confusion or memory loss?

Hi. I believe the system directed me to you as an opthamology question. I'm not sure this is about my eyes. I take Armour thyroid and vitamin supplements. My vision started changing as I was told it would, about a year ago. Sleep is spotty at night but 8 hours plus naps during the day. I have Fibromyalgia / Chronic Fatigue (Dr diagnosed - not self) Yes, memory issues and some confusion. I have a hard time articulating my thoughs in a way I never did before. I had Lasik surgery to mono vision 10 years ago. Now surgery will require dealing with the start of cataracts as well. (Random thoughts) thx

BTW - I don't think I'm being a hypochondriac - but as fyi - my dad died of a primary brain tumor - at exactly my age. I seem to recall his first symptom being seeing ceiling fans turning overhead when there were none. I was told it wasn't a genetic concern.

I am not sure if the chat feature is working correctly. I have switched to the question and answer format.

This can be a complex topic.
And to be honest, nobody really knows why these formed hallucinations

One possible etiology is irritation of the cortical centers
of the brain that are responsible for visual processing. This irritation may be in the form of seizure
activity. An EEG
(electroencephalographic recording) may
be helpful in diagnosing this.

Another cause is something called a visual release
phenomenon. This is usually triggered by
prolonged visual deprivation. This would
be unlikely if you have good vision and no other eye problems.

Also, sometimes sleep deprivation can lead to formed visual

Does this make sense to you? Although I am submitting this as an answer I happy to explain further or answer any additional questions that you have.

Although eye problems can cause visual hallucinations, it sounds like this is not the case for you.

I specialize in Neuro-ophthalmology, so I am very familiar with the subject. However, you may need to see a Neurologist for further testing. I do not think pathology will be found but it would be a good idea to have an EEG, MRI brain and possible sleep study.

Do you have any other questions?

I am not able to participate in live chat? have you been able to see my responses? I just want to make sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My apologies. I have been waiting on the answer but the reply went into spam. Thanks for your answers. Enjoy the rest of the day,