Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi About 2 weeks ago, I developed blepharospasm in both eyes.

Hi
About 2 weeks ago, I developed blepharospasm in both eyes. I had an MRI brain scan that showed no abnormalities. But I forgot I banged my forehead on a glass door about 1 month ago, and now I think the eye and cheek spasms are a sequela of that event.
Today I applied olive oil, and then "hypericum and calendula" cream, to my forehead, thinking that the hypericum (St. John's Wort) might heal the nerves and stop the spasms. However, I have discovered that hypericin in St. John's Wort will cause protein leakage from the eye lens, also that the RPE takes it up, where it destroys the retina and macula when the eye is exposed to UV or visible light. I suppose the cream was absorbed via the veins I can see on the forehead. Could or should I do anything to minimize damage to the eye lens and macula from this single (rather misguided) application?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question....

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist, I can assure you that you will not suffer any ill effects from this one application.

Dr. Rick :

This small amount will not damage your eye lens or your macula at all

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Howard,

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : That is a very good question....
Dr. Rick : As a retina specialist, I can assure you that you will not suffer any ill effects from this one application.
Dr. Rick : This small amount will not damage your eye lens or your macula at all
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS