Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I was splashed in the eye earlier with a household bleach solution.

I was splashed in the eye earlier with a household bleach solution. My eyes never felt particularly irritated, but in an abundance of caution I rinsed my eyes for about 20 minutes. Now after I have finished every thing seems a bit hazy... like I am in a steamy shower. Is this normal after a rinse? Will it get better?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Without being able to examine you, I cannot say for certain. But the fact that your eyes are no longer irritated and your vision is only slightly filmy are both good signs. Likely, your tear fil is disrupted and irritated from the trauma of the chemicals.
Dr. Dan B. : I would recommend using artificial tears 4 to 5 times per day in both eyes for the next couple of days. Cool compresses can help the eyes feel better if they are very irritated. But if your eyes are no better after a couple of days despite doing these things, or they get worse before then, the you need to go see your eye doctor. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Do you think it is necessary to see an urgent care doctor today?

Customer:

Also, could the filmy vision haze be related to the water rinse, or do you think it is probably from the bleach? I rinsed both eyes, and they are both hazy, but I think I mostly only got the bleach in my right eye.

Dr. Dan B. : I think the filmy vision is likely from the bleach, not the water. If your vision is significantly disturbed, or you are having significant irritation then you should go see urgent care doctor today. If both of these issues are quite minor, I think you're okay to wait it out and see.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Dr. Dan B. : I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Dr Dan,

Customer:

Within an hour or so yesterday my vision had returned more or less to normal, and were not particularly irritated. The artificial tears seem to be helping immensely. This morning when I woke up my eyelashes were kinda crusty and stuck together, very much like when I have had conjunctivitis in the past. Throughout the day they have been mildly irritated, although I can see fairly normally. Is this an expected step in the healing process, or should I be concerned?

Customer:

My plan is to make an appointment with my normal eye doctor sometime next week when they have availability, it is probably about time for a check up anyways.

Yes, this type of reaction in the morning is to be expected when the front surface of the eye is traumatized by chemicals. As you continue to use the artificial tears and possibly cool compresses, I think you are going to find that you continue to improve.

Does this information help address your concerns?

I hope this has been helpful. I'm happy to address any other concerns you have about this. But if this resolves your concerns...

Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or
issue with anything I have said or haven't said, please don't issue a negative feedback rating-My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Dan B,

My eyes are feeling much better today. I had my normal eye doctor do an exam and he says that they will be just fine. Your input and guidance have been much appreciated. It helped me to remain calm, and make better informed decisions. I will be rating you extra happy face.

Thank you,

Bailey