Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Was punched in the face as walking to the bar (punch was intended

Was punched in the face as walking to the bar (punch was intended for someone else but my face was the receiver) about 3 weeks ago vision has not fully recovered in the right eye. Short distances its fine, long distances it is blurrier then left. Right eyeball also seems smaller than left eyeball. Slight swelling in right cheek and lips still, nothing noticeable by the naked eye but when i tap those locations i can feel the swell internally. The lower part of my eye also has the black bruise still but it seems that its getting lighter. Would also like to add that i had laser surgery done to my eyes 2 years ago. Any idea whats going on and wheather i should see a doc. I dont have insurance and am a broke college student so are there docs that offer payment plans because i cant pay upfront. Thank You
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 8 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

yes i am able to chat

Dr. A.S. Desai :

3 weeks is a long time for the vision to have remained blurred in the eye which got punched.

Customer:

i assumed it would be ok

Customer:

could there be serious problems

Customer:

or will i need to go back to glasses

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to get the eye examined by an eye doctor as a simple bruise to the eye would not cause blurred vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No need to go back for glasses.

Customer:

are there specific medications prescribed to return y vision, i have no pain in the eye whatsoever

Customer:

my*

Customer:

what could cause the blurred vision?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But I would be keen to know the underlying cause of blurred vision in that eye. Blunt trauma to the eye xan cause swelling in the retina called as macular edema. This can cause blurred vision. Treatment is NSAID eye drops such as Nepafenac.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Other causes of blurred vision could be optic nerve swelling (optic neuropathy).

Customer:

could that also be the cause why my eyeball is smaller compared to the other one?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

An X-ray or CT SCAN of the roght orbit can tell if there is any blow out fracture of the right orbit. This can cause the eye to appear smaller.

Customer:

can those be done at an opthamologists office

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Even if the treatment of this is wait and watch, it is important to get the correct diagnosis by a thorough eye exam.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, an Ophthalmologist should be able to help you with this.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

so the suggestion is to at least get and eye exam, and if these problems are there, i don't need to get them treated immediately?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

An eye exam should be done and based on the eye findings further decision on the treatment can be made.

Customer:

final question, what could be the cause of the swelling of the cheekbone and upper lip since i was not hit there?

Customer:

the swelling is not visible but i can feel it

Customer:

the swelling is only felt on the side i got hit

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though I cannot be very sure, there could be a possibility of fracture (hairline).

Customer:

if it is an hairline fracture , do they require surgery or do they heal naturally?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Swelling from a bruise usually subsides by 2 to 3 weeks. But it is soft to feel. Sich fractures do not require any surgery. They heal naturally. Surgery is required only if it is open or causes double vision due to eye muscle restriction.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To summarise, you need an eye exam to know the exact cause of blurred vision in the eye with blunt trauma.

Customer:

Yes i will visit a doctor this week also i am assuming the blackness takes a long time to go away, since the nerves take a long time to heal am i correct in this deduction?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, you need not worry about the color of the bruised part, It can take longer to appear normal .

Customer:

Thank You you have been very helpfull

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince