Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had cataract surgery three weeks ago (Toric IOLs both eyes)

I had cataract surgery three weeks ago (Toric IOLs both eyes) and am quite disappointed in the result. Prior to surgery I only needed glasses for distance but now my post-operative vision is 20/80 for both eyes. My vision is currently sharp at arms length but it is quite blurred any further or closer than arms length.

What has happened and where do I go from here?
Have the implants had incorrect focal length?
Can the surgery be re-done with lenses of correct focal length?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Dr. Dan B. :

If your post-operative distance vision without corrective lenses is 20/80 in both eyes and your arms length vision is clear, it seems as though your refractive result ended up to be somewhat myopic. So while your astigmatism may be corrected by the toric lenses, it does appear that the refractive result was not consistent with what your expectations and (presumably) yours and the doctor's goal was, to see sharply in the distance.

Dr. Dan B. :

Yes, the lenses can be exchanged for the lenses with the correct focal length.

Dr. Dan B. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Dan B. :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

OK

Dr. Dan B. :

Is there any other concerns you have about this?

Customer:

So what do I do now? Do I approach the surgeon and ask him to re-do the operation with the correct lenses?

Dr. Dan B. :

Yes, I would let the surgeon know that you are unhappy with your refractive result and that you want to have the lenses exchanged for the corrective focal length.

Customer:

The Toric lenses cost me $450 (both eyes). Will I be required to pay for new lenses (in your opinion)?

Dr. Dan B. :

It's possible--it depends on how your surgeon and the surgery center wish to handle this situation, but yes, possibly.

Dr. Dan B. :

Customer:

OK. Thanks for the help. I'll discuss this with the surgeon next week and see how he reacts. He mentioned that he would use Laser techniques to correct the refractive length of the lenses. Is this in your opinion a viable option?

Dr. Dan B. :

Yes, this certainly is a viable option--he is referring to doing LASIK on the corneas to correct the refractive error.

Customer:

OK - thanks for your help. I have no further questions at this time.

Customer:

Good bye

Dr. Dan B. :

Okay. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology