Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 9 year old daughter wears glasses (last 6 weeks) for the

My 9 year old daughter wears glasses (last 6 weeks) for the white board at school - over the last 2 days she has been complaining of blurred vision with and without the glasses on.

It's got so bad that at 6 feet away she can't see how many fingers you are holding up and can't read a book or see her handwriting but the weird thing is as soon as she nods or moves her head everything gets clear

If she is walking slowly she can see and read the book like normal

Any ideas

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you saying that your daughter has never worn glasses until six weeks ago?

Dr. Rick :

do you know what the Rx of her glasses is?

Dr. Rick :

Was the doctor who prescribed the glasses an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

If it has only been 6 weeks since her first pair of glasses, what did she think about them at first? Did she like wearing them?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Steven,

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Are you saying that your daughter has never worn glasses until six weeks ago?
Dr. Rick : do you know what the Rx of her glasses is?
Dr. Rick : Was the doctor who prescribed the glasses an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?
Dr. Rick : If it has only been 6 weeks since her first pair of glasses, what did she think about them at first? Did she like wearing them?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was having my annual eye check and she came along about 8 weeks ago - she said she had just started having trouble reading the whiteboard

The optician did 2 eye tests 1 week initial exam and the pm week later eye drops then 45 minutes later full eye test - the prescription is mild -1.25 and she has been very happy with the glasses
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The company we went to is called Spec Savers big UK chain - I have used them for years
Steven,

It sounds like she doesn't need the glasses and what happened is that she went into accommodative spasm.

This is nothing to worry about nor will it cause her any permanent harm.

I would take your daughter to a Board Certified Pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete -- and correct -- eye exam to see if she really does need glasses and, if so, what power.

I think the optician screwed up....these things happen :(

It is no rush to get in to the pediatric ophthalmologist...it is not an emergency.

While wearing the glasses she has will not do any damage, I just have her hold off on wearing them until she can see a pediatric eye specialist.

Make sure to bring the glasses to her appointment....

Does this make sense to you.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Rick just one question why is she able to see able to read when she is moving

And I promise to give you 10/10
That might have helped to relax the accommodative spasm. Various activities can do this; it is not something that you can relax by conscious effort.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS