Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

A recent eye exam (lasting 3 hours, including those drops that

A recent eye exam (lasting 3 hours, including those drops that blur your vision) found me being asked if I was ever told I had Iatrogenia? Was I in a car accident, or did I experience sever head trauma? No, no and no. Should I be concerned? Do I need further tests? I was told not to worry about it. Should I be concerned and what tests do I look at to find out what may, or not, be going on? (I am not critiquing the physician. I am glad if there was something to find out, that she did). Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Do you have any ocular problems?

Were you examined by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Chris,

I do not believe you need further testing or that you have to be concerned. Many times doctors, myself included, ask a bunch of questions like that just to clear up anything that we might be thinking about.

You should not read too much into the questions she asked. If there would have been a problem she would have told you about it.

One other option, of course, is to obtain a copy of your medical records and to to a different ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam. This way you can be doubly sure that everything is OK.

So. What is the take home message? I feel you are OK and have nothing to worry about when it comes to your eye exam.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One pupil is bigger than the other. It is obvious IF you look. In 1999 I developed an upper respiratory infection. Went away in a week. Following year (same time and same locatioin that I visited, could tell you why if necessary as to how I know), developed same upper respiratory, but this time it did not go away. NEXT day I noticed blurred vision in one eye. Some months later after sinus surgery, I noticed it went away, BUT went to other eye. I have had blurred vision in both for this time. After a 'quest' of different eye doctors (and she was an Opthamologist at SUNY, NYC), I was told I could have medically approved [form] of Lasik because 2 physicians agreed the shape of my eyes (somehow) had changed and reshapping them would correct the blurred vision (which I resolved to think was a film issue over the eye). I have not had any surgery. My optic nerves are fine and I can 'get' clear vision (ready?) by pushing my eyes in at the sides, or crossing them. Amount of time I hold this posititon is amount of time they stay ABSOLUTELY clear. Had taken herbs (from a physician for another issue; inflammation and infection which he resolved) one time and a week after taking first dosage, vision not only clear, I could see distance with reading glasses. Physician said it would be expensive and difficult to find out which herb, or combination brought about this 'side' effect. I did not follow this process since I was just happy to find my eyes could work if certain conditions existed. Ones that did not involved $100 a week, or surgery. You still there? No need to reply if you think 'this is a weird one'. Cheers.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Chris,

I've heard weirder ones :) You definitely have an interesting issue.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SUNY best I could muster. Thnx. So I will forget about the pupil issue. Unless...I could get the other the same size as th...:-{)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Chris,

That sounds like an excellent plan :)

Enjoy your weekend.