Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello Dr. Dan, Last Thursday I noticed a small spot that

Hello Dr. Dan,

Last Thursday I noticed a small spot that looked like a chafe or a bite (though I don't think it is a bite) under my left eye. It itched slightly but other than that I felt no discomfort or pain. The succeeding days a patchy raised circle appeared there. The tissue would swell lightly as the day progressed, particularly towards the evening, and then recede. The area doesn't seem to have any fluid in it but it just swells up and then back down again. On the top left of my eyelid I also noticed a bump (like a spot but pliable,like running your finger over a popped up vein). It's not a stye, doesn't hurt, nor is it filled with anything but it's also appeared the last few days together with the swelling - also tending to appear and disappear with the swell of the under eye circle area.
Finally, yesterday I woke up in the night to go to the bathroom, and found my left eye completely swollen - both top and bottom eyelid. The eye itself - cornea, etc. - was not irritated, no pus/ weeping, no sensitivity, just red from rubbing and sleep ( I have pictures of the eye if you would like to see them). The eyelid swelling went down quickly - with the exception of the area under my eye - but this morning when I woke up it was swollen again. The patch under my eye itches and the skin is slightly flaky and rough, like a scab. The eye itself feels a bit dry today. Could it be some sort of infection or allergy?

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Thank you for that in-depth description. Toward the end your prescription make clear what I think this is. I suspect this is allergic dermatitis. Exactly what you're allergic to is very unlikely to be found out. It is usually not one item and its usually an allergic predisposition. Let me elaborate.
Dr. Dan B. : This problem with the eyelid skin is called allergic dermatitis. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, if the eyes themselves are itchy then an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. For the eyelid skin. I would suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Doing all of these things as directed, it still may take a few days before you notice a significant lessening of the overall symptoms, but the itching should start to respond to this quickly. Does this all make sense?
Customer:

Yes, this is very helpful.

I usually suffer from hayfever, but that's earlier in the year so I didn't make a connection. I take claritin for my allergies so I'll give that a shot and carry on with your other suggestions.

Thank you very much!

Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

No, I think that covers it.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day/ evening!

Dr. Dan B. : You do the same. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Will do, thank you!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology