Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have recently started using contact lenses (about a week).

I have recently started using contact lenses (about a week). The circle lens (FDA approved) I used is made of Polymacon +- 40% water.

I noticed that my eyes can tolerate it about 4 hours then it becomes really dry.
I have been using contact lens drops but need rewetting every few minutes.

Today I even tried bringing a second pair so I can rewet, sanitise and re-soak so the lens can be hydrated. When I take the lens out they are really dry and very tacky.

Is this just a starting phase before my tear production increases or are my eyes unsuitable for contact lenses altogether?

I don't want to switch brands because these contacts (the brand) is the only FDA approved Circle Lens. If I opt for another brand then there are no guarantee of the quality.

I don't want to damage my eyes permanently before it is too late. Just want to know your thoughts. I wear +1.00 and +1.50 so I can live without them. I can't wear glasses because my nose bridge is very flat and all types of glasses just sits on my cheek and continuously slide down. I have to use contact lens as it is my only option.

I sit in front of the computer all day. Now that I have worn contact lens for about a week I have really grown to like them because I can actually see very clearly in the distance. I have astigmatism so my +1.00 +1.50 is magnified to some degree.

Your advice is appreciated.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds like you have a dysfunctional tear film that needs some attending to before your foray into contact lens can be successful.
Dr. Dan B. : Let me elaborate...The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision. When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision. This is called a dysfunctional tear film.People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out.
Dr. Dan B. : You may even need to be out of your contact lenses for a couple of weeks while you start this treatment. The first step in treatment for this is to use artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day (without a redness-reliever chemical in them), every day on a regular basis for at least 3 to 4 weeks. If after you've done this, your symptoms have improved, then you can start trailing off of the tears as you need to. However, if you only put the tears in sporadically, when you feel like you need them, they usually do not work. Because there are numerous reasons for a dysfunctional tear film, if this is not helping your symptoms, then I would recommend you see an ophthalmologist to have a complete evaluation for a dysfunctional tear film. If not all the reasons for a dysfunctional tear film are being treated, it can seem as though what treatment is being used is not working. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Hi Dr Dan

Thanks for your response. When I am not wearing my contact lens, my eyes are fine. No dryness, no tearing, no irritation It is only when I wear the contact lens in excess of 4 hours is when my eyes start to get dry

After work, I take the contact lens out and then my eyes are no longer dry.

I don't think I have any issue with my tear film as I don't have any eye issues normally and it is only triggered when I wear the contact lens.

Are there any method to allow the contact lens to stay hydrated throughout the day?

Dr. Dan B. : For the most part, no, there is no message to keep the contact lenses hydrated while you were wearing them. If you truly are having no other issues lenses it may be a function of a poorly fitting contact lens that maybe too tight and may not be allowing her corneas to breeze.
Dr. Dan B. : But, even still, people with dysfunctional tear films can feel fine until their cornea's are challenged with something like contact lens wear. If your optometrist assured the contact lenses are fitting right and are the right size, then I still think you would benefit by having an evaluation by ophthalmologist to determine if a dysfunctional tear film is the reason why you're unable to tolerate your contact lenses. There really is no way to hydrate the lenses while in the eye except for rewetting drops. Does this make sense?