Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello,I had lasik about a month and a half ago. Anyways,

I had lasik about a month and a half ago. Anyways, before lasik I noticed that I saw double vertical double vision without contacts or glasses. I was nearsighted with astigmatism on both eyes When I had contacts and glasses I would see normally, or if I saw a little bit of double/ghosting image it was very minimal. When I squint it would go away.

I went to my optometrist to get it checked out and she said I have mild exotropia.

I went on to have a few weeks later and the doctor and surgeon didn't seem concerned about anything. The surgeon said it is probably caused by astigmatism.

After the surgery I didn't see any double images and didn't think about it. It was til weeks later I started paying attention to it. I see it very minimal, for example I notice a little bit of double image/ ghosting when I'm reading white words on a black background or at night at a stop light or bright signs at night. I would just see the reflection of the words or object under the original word. It's not double double, it's like the reflection of the bottom part of the words. When I squint it would go away. Again it's not like this all the time.

I have health anxiety, ever since having my first child, and I'm worried about brain tumor and MS. Could it just be refractive errors? Will it go away? I had lasik on Sept. 11th.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is not a brain tumor or MS

Dr. Rick :

It could be refractive issues or just healing from the lasik. I would discuss it with your surgeon and not worry about it at this point.

Dr. Rick :

I would bet this is just your health anxiety acting up.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : It is not a brain tumor or MS
Dr. Rick : It could be refractive issues or just healing from the lasik. I would discuss it with your surgeon and not worry about it at this point.
Dr. Rick : I would bet this is just your health anxiety acting up.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interesting, I mentioned it to my eye doctor at the lasik place when I went for a month follow-up and he said it's normal and that I should just keep using eye drops.

Anyways it's way better than before lasik.

How do you know that it's not a brain tumor or ms? Would it be a different type of double vision that you would see often?

I've never had an MRI and CAT scan, I'm scared to. But serious like MS or a brain tumor would've been caught on during dilated eye exams right??

I'm so anxious and would love for this problem to stop. Well it only happens when I'm reading bright words like white words on a black background and red words like red stop lights at night or LED red words. I see 20/15.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nina,

In over two decades of practicing ophthalmology I have never had a brain tumor or MS present in the way you are experiencing.

In addition, brain tumors and MS are very rare; issues like you are having occur after lasik a lot. As they say: Common things are common. Rare things are rare....

No. A dilated eye exam is not designed to find a brain tumor or MS. That being said, if you had either of these problems you would be experiencing a lot more, and a lot worse, issues.

Congrats on the 20/15 vision! Everything will be OK. Try to ignore the issues you are having reading bright words like white words on a black background and red words like red stop lights at night or LED red words -- this is nothing to worry about :)

I hope this helps you to feel better. Have a good day.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest