Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My son has been told that the retina of his eye is going black

My son has been told that the retina of his eye is going black and he is lossing his sight, can anything be done. ? He is only 23 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Who told your son this? Was it a regular MD, an optometrist or an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?

Dr. Rick :

What type of symptoms/problems is your son having?

Dr. Rick :

Does he have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for?

Customer:

Dear dr. Rick

Customer:

The eye clinic at the local hospital. He is not on any medication. He has just started to notice that when he sees something in the distance he looks again and has trouble trying to find it. He has limited recall on the object. We have sent him for a diabetic check. He had minimal colour loss when he was a child. Just green and blue mix up at times. There is no history of eye disease in the family.

Customer:

regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

I would not get too worried about what the folks at the local hospital said.

Dr. Rick :

I would have your son examined by an Ophthalmologist right away. If it is anything complicated the eye surgeon will send your son onto a retina specialist like myself for a definitive diagnosis.

Dr. Rick :

This is not related in anyway to his color vision problem he had as a child.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I know we are on exact opposite sides of the planet so responses may take a bit to go back and forth....

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your son will need a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (eye MD), with close attention paid to his peripheral retina, macula and muscle function. He may also need a computerized visual field testing, manual tangent screen testing and OCT, depending on his clinical findings.

Dr. Rick :

You must have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina specialist.
Dr. Rick : Who told your son this? Was it a regular MD, an optometrist or an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?

Dr. Rick : What type of symptoms/problems is your son having?
Dr. Rick : Does he have any medical problems or take any medication?
Dr. Rick : How long has this been going on for? Customer: Dear dr. Rick Customer: The eye clinic at the local hospital. He is not on any medication. He has just started to notice that when he sees something in the distance he looks again and has trouble trying to find it. He has limited recall on the object. We have sent him for a diabetic check. He had minimal colour loss when he was a child. Just green and blue mix up at times. There is no history of eye disease in the family. Customer: regards XXXXX XXXXX
Dr. Rick : I would not get too worried about what the folks at the local hospital said.
Dr. Rick : I would have your son examined by an Ophthalmologist right away. If it is anything complicated the eye surgeon will send your son onto a retina specialist like myself for a definitive diagnosis.
Dr. Rick : This is not related in anyway to his color vision problem he had as a child.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I know we are on exact opposite sides of the planet so responses may take a bit to go back and forth....
Dr. Rick : Are you still there?
Dr. Rick : It sounds like your son will need a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (eye MD), with close attention paid to his peripheral retina, macula and muscle function. He may also need a computerized visual field testing, manual tangent screen testing and OCT, depending on his clinical findings.
Dr. Rick : You must have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick :

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS