Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Bleach in eyes incident from 2 years ago

If i get bleach in my eyes improperly treated for about 3 hours from 2 years ago, do you think that would cause any long term negative effects?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

If you have not had any ill effect of the bleach on your eyes in these 2 years then I guess there is no risk of any delayed side effect. Fall of bleach in the eye amounts to a chemical injury to the eye and causes immediate adverse effects such as chemical burn( redness, pain, watering, blurring of vision). Once the lesions heal ( usually within 2 weeks with treatment), the symptoms disappear and the eye functions normally. Only if the damage is more severe such as corneal scarring, then vision might get affected. I guess your eyes should be fine if you have had no symptoms in these 2 years.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

went for an eye exam last week. left eye is legally blind and right eye is 5 lines from being legally blind.

i have a pre-existing condition i can't mention so i don't know if the bleach could be a factor. ill ask my specialist and consult my lawyer.

But do you think that incident had any relevance? my vision was fine before the incident.

Hello Kevin,

This could be tough question to answer without examining the eye or having all the details of the eye exam. For a chemical injury to cause such severe reduction of vision I guess there should have been corneal scarring ( does the colored part of the eye have any white patches? ). If the cornea is clear then I guess the visual reduction is unlikely to be due to the bleach in the eye. In that case the eye has to be thoroughly examined for any retinal or optic nerve problem ( not related to the bleach in the eye).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the advice.

I'll have to consult a specialist in real life though.

You are most welcome.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince