Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up one morning with ptosis of the left eye lid and a

I woke up one morning with ptosis of the left eye lid and a drooping of the facial muscles on that side. I was told by a neurological optomologist I have ocular Myasthenia Gravis and was given a ve r y high dose of Mestonon. It was then discovered shortly after Ihad lost my balance and fell I couldnt move a muscle to pick myself up and hit my head on the sidewalk, by CT scan an enlarged thymus. My question is is my my myasthenia more than ocular since there is a thymoma but the bloodwork for myasthenia came back normal? I am a young 64 an X have always been active and athletic but recently have become veey weak and tired.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 11 months ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

From what you have posted, it is difficult to say with any certainty that your loss of balance and fall is secondary to your myasthania. Your recent weakness, however, could be from the myasthenia.

So. What is the take home message? If your limb weakness is from the MG then I would classify your disease stage as Class IIIa; if not then I would place it at Class IIa.

So. what is the take home message? At this point you are on the correct therapy for your MG. Is your MG more then ocular? It is hard to say for sure but, from what you have posted it is very possible that is is the cause of your generalized weakness.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest