Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im 60 years old. Im near-sighted in my right eye and far-sighted

I'm 60 years old. I'm near-sighted in my right eye and far-sighted in my left eye. I don't wear glasses on a regular basis, however my right eye seems to be getting worse in the past couple of months. I noticed recently that my right pupil doesn't dilate anymore. There's been no type of trauma to the eye that I can remember. I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks, but I was wondering if you have any ideas why it no longer dilates?

Thank you,
Mary

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Has this eye been red, painful, or light sensitive recently? Have you had any prior diseases or problems with this eye?
Customer:

No - to all of the above questions. The only change is that, as I get older, I'm having more difficulty reading without glasses.

Dr. Dan B. : Unfortunately having a more difficult time seeing up close the older you get is a normal part of aging. When was the last time you were seen by your eye doctor? Did they mention cataracts at that time?
Customer:

I'm seeing my doctor in two weeks anyway. I was just concerned about the eye not dilating and wondering if it's OK to wait the two weeks. It's not bothering me at all.

Dr. Dan B. : Are you having any double vision or having one of your upper eyelids droop?
Customer:

No

Dr. Dan B. : Then, I think you are likely okay to wait for a couple of weeks. However, if you do notice one upper eyelid starting to droop or you have double vision then you need to be seen right away. Does this make sense?
Customer:

Yes, that sounds good. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!