Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I woke up with a VERY swollen under eye, just on my right side.

I woke up with a VERY swollen under eye, just on my right side. I got Restalyne injected 4 months ago and wonder if this has anything to do with it. This also happened to BOTH eyes 3 months ago.

Is it a spider bite (no "head" to swelling)? An allergic reaction? It doesn't hurt. I went to the doctor and they gave me medrol and bactrin. Is that right? The medrol hasn't helped... I haven't started bactrin yet.

Should I also take Claritin?

Cold Compress?

Warm Compress?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you take a picture of this swelling and post it here?
Customer:

Would the picture be public?

Customer:

is this a private chat?

Dr. Dan B. : If we didn't close the question and ask the website to close the question after we're done, then I think yes.
Dr. Dan B. : Unfortunately I don't think there is a private version of the chat window.
Customer:

ok - I'll try to upload now

Customer:

eye
Full Size Image

Dr. Dan B. : Thank you. Is this tender to the touch? Is it firm or thickened swelling or is it squishy like there is fluid in it?
Customer:

Tender to touch... but not painful at ALL. squishy for sure

Dr. Dan B. : Does it itch?
Customer:

not at all

Dr. Dan B. : Have you had a cold recently or sinus congestion?
Customer:

no.

Customer:

but I'm traveling a LOT for work

Customer:

I work as a on camera reporter and I'm worried about this not going away.

Dr. Dan B. : Have you had chronic eye infections?
Customer:

This happened once before months ago... but both eyes

Customer:

and just went away. Is it allergies? does the restalyne play a part (I'd never done that before)

Dr. Dan B. : Is this the area where you got the Restalyne injected?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

but it was 4 months ago

Dr. Dan B. : Was the first time right after the Restalyne injections?
Customer:

no - the first time was 5 weeks after the injection

Customer:

everyone thinks I'm nuts to think it's THAT... but I've never had this problem before. I've had tearing and redness from allergies. But not THIS BAD

Dr. Dan B. : I suspect that this does have something to do with the Restalyne, whether there is an ongoing allergy to the Restalyne that's still there or whether it has just triggered allergic dermatitis or not is difficult to say. I would recommend...
Dr. Dan B. : getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Also I would using cold compresses done several times/day which can suppress the inflammation.
Customer:

should I continue to take the steroid?

Customer:

start the anti-biotic?

Customer:

cold compress better than warm?

Dr. Dan B. : I would do both, yes. But if this recurs, I would make sure to see an Oculoplastics specialist to have this evaluated to see if there is Restalyne there that needs to be removed. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Cool compresses are better for allergic type of inflammation.
Customer:

ok - my last question...

Customer:

the anti biotic, I read, can cause horrible reactions in people

Dr. Dan B. : What antibiotic is it?
Customer:

and I can't afford to be out of work because I have to be on camera tomorrow

Customer:

should I risk it? Take OTC Claritin? or just the steriod

Customer:

bactrin

Customer:

sulfatrim

Dr. Dan B. : While Bactrim has a rare reaction that is dangerous, it is rare. I think it wouldn't hurt though to take the Claritin.
Customer:

safe with steriod

Customer:

?

Dr. Dan B. : Steroids are usually pretty safe.
Customer:

thank you so much!

Dr. Dan B. : You bet. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

I mean... I wish I knew what it was exactly... but I guess there is no way to REALLY know. I spent an hour in urgent care and the doctor had no idea. Very frustrating!

Customer:

I thank you so much for your time

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Just make sure to see an Oculoplastics specialist if this doesn't improve--don't bother anymore with other docs. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology