Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is it important to wear eyeglasses and can it self correct

Is it important to wear eyeglasses and can it self correct since he is still 5 yrs old?

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. I'm happy to help you. Does your son have an eye that crosses? Is there something else he's been diagnosed with?
Customer:

my 5 yr old was diagnosed with estigmatism.

Customer:

prescription:

Customer:

O.D S +0.75 C-2.25 A 10 VAF 0.5

Customer:

OS +0.75 C -2.75 A170 VAF 0.5

Customer:

is it severe can it self correct since he is just 5?

Customer:

if he doesnt put on glasses will it harm him? i hd astigmatism and never wore glasses till i was 21

Customer:

his eyes dosent cross

Dr. Dan B. : I'm sorry to be absent for a few minutes. I've been having some connection problems. Let me read your responses before I respond.
Dr. Dan B. : Generally, the prescription for glasses is dependent on the shape of the eye. The shape of the eye changes as a child grows and therefore we really won't won't know generally what his adult prescription for glasses will be until he's probably about 20 years old.
Dr. Dan B. : j Generally speaking, in my experience, children who have significant amounts of astigmatism at this early age usually do not lose all of that astigmatism as there eye grows associated with getting older. Unfortunately, if he does not wear his glasses full-time, he runs the risk of the brain not developing the visual tracts necessary to establish good Vision for the rest of his life. The ages of two to about 10 years old are critical times for visual development. If the brain is not presented with clear images from each eye during this time, amblyopia can develop, which is the visual pathways in the brain not developing properly, resulting in poorer visual acuity permanently.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?
Customer:

yes it does. so he must put on eye glasses and if so can it get better?

Customer:

can this case cause headaches?

Customer:

so thts severe astigmatism?

Dr. Dan B. : If he wears his glasses, his vision should be much better. However even if he wears his glasses full-time, this will not make his astigmatism go away. It just makes his vision clear when the glasses are on his face. As soon as he takes his glasses off, his vision would be poor. This does not alter the natural course of what his glasses prescription is going to do. If he is not wearing his glasses, the blurred vision can cause headaches. Also, if he is not used to wearing his glasses, the few first few weeks while he is getting used to the glasses can cause headaches. And no, this amount of astigmatism is not severe. It's a relatively moderate amount. Very typical for anyone with astigmatism.
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

but it is significant for his age?

Dr. Dan B. : Yes, it is significant for his age for two reasons. Most kids do not have that much astigmatism at that age. It is certainly not unheard of, but the minority of kids have astigmatism to that degree. It is also significant because without wearing the glasses to correct the astigmatism, he can develop permanent vision loss as an adult.
Customer:

my last question just to so tht everythin is clear to me. it is moderate astigmatism in general yet significant whn we r talkin about children?

Dr. Dan B. : That is correct.
Customer:

thank you very much for you time. it is highly appreciated.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

do u recommend certain types of eyeglasses to accomodate such active age?

Dr. Dan B. : Not particularly. Your optician where are you get his glasses made would have the best recommendations for him.
Customer:

ok thnx

Customer:

:-)

Dr. Dan B. : You're welcome. I hope this has been helpful. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.