Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was diagnosed with viral conjuctivitis 7 days ago. The symptoms

I was diagnosed with viral conjuctivitis 7 days ago. The symptoms have worsened over the past 24-48 hours. I have also developed 2 small white areas within the redness that currently consumes the white of my eyes. My eyes are more watery than ever, and they're becoming extremely irritated compared to prior days. Should I be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

This could still be pink eye. The white areas could be just places on your conjunctiva that are not so irritated.

The other possibility is that you now have a secondary bacterial infection...without examining you it is hard to say.

I suggest, since the weekend is coming up quick, you see an ophthalmologist today just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the fact that it has worsened over the past 2 days shouldn't be of any real concern? Also, is it really possible to have a superimposed bacterial infection when I've been on anti-biotic eyedrops since Monday? How long would you generally expect this condition to last and what is my level of contagiousness at this point? I am a student physical therapist on a clinical internship working with kids. I only have room to miss this week. I have to go back Monday.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Joey,

Yes, you are correct, although it is unusual for things to get worse at this point.

You could have a bacterial infection even on the drops....

It lasts 2 to 3 weeks....

If you wash your hands a lot yo should be OK to work.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest