Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr. Dan, I saw a retinal specialist as you suggested but

Hi Dr. Dan, I saw a retinal specialist as you suggested but the tests were all clear. He is now referring me to a Neuro Opth. Unfortunately, I can not get an appointment for 3 weeks. What can I expect next?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Dr. Dan does not seem to be available at this time. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I am a retina specialist. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Thank you for your patience.

The neuro-ophthalmologist will, once again, do a complete eye exam. She will also do special testing of pupil function, vision etc paying close attention to your signs and symptoms and seeing how they might fit into issues of the brain and eye that are consistent with your findings.

She might also order imaging studies like an MRI, or special testing like an EOG, ERG or EEG.

You can expect to spend at least two hours at the neuro-ophthalmologists office.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick, Thank you for your response. I have a couple more questions. I will catch you up on what has been happening first.

I awoke from a nap on Friday evening with severe clouded vision in my left eye. I do not need or wear any type of corrective lens. I have had no pain in the eye just distorted vision. I have been getting minor headaches since Friday that have been easily remedied by wearing an eye patch over the left while watching tv or working on the computer. Prior to that any headaches I had seemed to correlate to being in very dim spaces.I had a complete eye exam approximately 3 months ago and was prescribed .05 reading glasses and told to turn on a light while reading. What I am experiencing is when I cover my left eye it's like having HD vision when I cover my right eye it's like looking at a color TV from 1980 that has a dirty screen. Small fonts are impossible to see with my left eye At the retinal specialists office yesterday I was told my left eye was 20/50 and my right eye was 20/25 + 2. The retinal Specialist gave me the all clear and referred me on to Neuro Opth. Here are my questions.

1. I may be imagining this but it seems I can see a little better this morning. is it possible for this condition to spontaneously begin to regress?

2. My vision was tested by 3 different doctors ( none of them eye doctors) using the standard paper eye test. They all said my vision was 20/70 in the left eye. Yesterday I had a proper eye test and the result was 20/50 in the left eye. Is my vision getting better or does the retinal specialist just have a more accurate eye test?

3. Is it safe to cover my left eye with an eye patch or will it put too much strain on my right eye?

4. Can all of this be caused by long term low dose prendisone therapy? I have to take 5mg of or Pren. approx. 3-4 days a month due to a silicone granuloma resulting from a cosmetic injectable. The injection was 3-4 micro-droplets between my eyebrows. It tends to become inflamed around the time of menses. Without the Pren. I end up with a very hard nodule between eyebrows and extending slightly to the occipital bone. My left eyelid will also swell and become filled with fluid.

5. Is it possible that the silicone has migrated to my optic nerve? I have done a lot of research and although silicone can and does migrate it seems to be a lot more likely in cases where a lot of silicone has been injected ( i.e. buttocks, calves, breasts etc.) and the migration tends to go downwards not backwards. I'm not not proficient in anatomy so I don't know if migration to the optic nerve from the propeus is even possible.

Thank you in advance for your time. I am having a bit of anxiety over all of this. Any ideas what it could be?

Thank you,

Kymberly

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Kymberly,

Let me answer your new questions in order:

1. Without knowing what is going on that is impossible to say with any degree of certainty.

2. I do not put much stock in vision exams by non-eye doctors....I'd say that the vision you got at the retina doc's is correct, and the vision by the other docs can not be used for comparison.

3. It is safe.

4. No. That is not the cause.

5. No. No way that could happen.

Whew! I'm gonna have to give my fingers a break from all those new answers ;-)

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the best of luck. Have a good week.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest