Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My daughter is 2.5 years and has high myopia -8 and -12 and

My daughter is 2.5 years and has high myopia -8 and -12 and wears corrective glasses. Her eyes are otherwise healthy. I have noticed recently that on occasion when she is walking she will turn her head (not tilt) to the left momentarily while continuing to walk. Her left eye is her worse eye by the way. Any thoughts? Development otherwise great - met all milestones, is social, and language developing well (conversational).
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Do your daughters eyes cross?

Has she been seen by an ophthalmologist.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

From what you have posted I do not think there is anything to worry about concerning the way your daughter turns her head at times while she is walking.

One thing that is important, however, concerning our daughters eye care is that she be treated by a pediatric ophthalmologist (eye MD) for all her optical/eye needs. With her degree of myopia she is at a higher risk for complications such as retinal problems and, possibly, amblyopia. Also, her refractive error may change frequently and her glasses Rx will need to be adjusted to avoid problems.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't really noticed her eyes cross. She is being treated by an eye specialist, yes. but this head turning is quite new so I was just wondering if that was fairly typical. It's probably been about 7 weeks or so since we visited and her prescription was increased by about .5 in one eye and .25 in the other. The eye specialist was not at all phased by the increase. He said behind the eye was really healthy. In some ways, she is tending to bump into things more if not concentrating with the new prescription which she didn't do so much with the old. Do things seem further away?

The very, very small change in her Rx should not be causing any problems at all. That being said, if the glasses are new, and you have not already done it, it might be useful to go back to the optical shop and have them checked out to make sure they are centered correctly on her face, the lenses are made correctly and are the correct power.

Mistakes are made more often then we like to admit, especially when it comes to high power lenses like your daughters....

And, yes, things might look smaller/farther away to her then they would to someone who does not have her large amount of myopia...but she will adapt just fine to this optical aberration.

But, just to make it clear: I do not think your daughters behavior -- especially given her recent ocular bill of health -- represent any sort of serious problem at this time.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will get the glasses checked too because come to think of it she has been rubbing her eyes a lot and squinting a bit too.
Sounds like a good plan.

Have a good week.