Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Had cataract surgery both eyes about 6 years ago, replaced

Had cataract surgery both eyes about 6 years ago, replaced lenses. About 4 months ago right eye has a even blurring (like something on my eye). Ophthalmologist advised after several testings that no retinal tear was present, but have PVD, further advised that no treatment for this. I have no flashes or floaters, just blurred vision. He advises that a RX will correct sight, but sight not the problem, just the blurring. Will this blurring go away? I find myself rubbing the eye frequently trying to get clear vision.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : It is quite common for the refractive error, or need for glasses, to regress or change after cataract surgery. It does not surprise me that you are beginning to need some corrective lenses now. Given the fact that your ophthalmologist has found no other problems except for the PVD, I suspect that he is right. It may just be that you need to get some prescription glasses. Your experience of blurring can go away with the correct pair of lenses in front of your eyes. Many times, ophthalmologists will use the word vision and sight interchangeably. While you may still have sight, the blurry vision is likely caused by this unmet need for glasses. Does this make sense?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

When giving me an eye test, He advised that 20/20 obtained, but still have blurred vision, even when corrected during the test.

Dr. Dan B. :

So when you were in the refracting machine and you reached 20/20 your vision was still blurry? Or is this something you can discern after having gotten some prescription glasses?

Customer:

in the refracting machine and you reached 20/20 vision was still blurry

Dr. Dan B. :

The view in those machines, despite being able to discern the letters on the 20/20 line, is quite distorted, so I wouldn't use that as the final judge of what your vision will be like with the correct glasses on. Those lenses are small and not designed for use in the real world so it's difficult to use that as a judge. I would recommend getting the glasses as this is likely going to clear this up.

Customer:

the blurring is like something smeared evenly over my entire vision on this eye. After several months, still there, doesnt seem to be getting better or worse.

Dr. Dan B. :

Yes, that is precisely what an unmet or uncorrected refractive error looks like.

Dr. Dan B. :

The fact that it does not change is very indicative of just the need for glasses in front of that eye.

Dr. Dan B. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

maybe, thank you.

Dr. Dan B. :

I'm happy to help you if you still have more questions about this.

Dr. Dan B. :

If you're satisfied with our conversation,

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology