Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I woke up yesterday with very cloudy vision in my left eye.

I woke up yesterday with very cloudy vision in my left eye. I feel no pain in the eye. I went to the ER and they tested my eye pressure and looked for scratches. They can't find anything wrong. Any idea what this can be? Vision in my left eye went from 20/25 to 20/70 overnight.

Dr. Dan B. : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Dr. Dan B. : Has the eye been red? Any itching, discharge, tearing, light-sensitivity, mattering of your lashes or burning? Have you had any recent eye trauma?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any medical problems? Any existing eye problems before this?

No redness and the ER doc didn't see any lacerations.I literally woke up and couldn't see. I had an eye exam 3 months ago everything was fine. I do not need or wear corrective lenses. I have not had any accidents lately.

Dr. Dan B. : Do you have any medical problems? Any surgeries or do you take any presription or over-the-counter medicines?
Dr. Dan B. : Do you see any floating spots or dots in your vision? Have you experienced any flashing lights in this eye? Any headaches, difficulty controlling your bowel or bladder, weakness/numbness?

I occasionally have to take 5mg of prendisone 2-3 days a month for a allergic reaction to a permanent cosmetic filler. Always near my period. If I don't take it I will get severe edema in my eye. I have never had any reaction at all to the medication. I did take 5 mg on Thursday.

Dr. Dan B. : What do you mean 'severe edema in [your] eye'? And is it only the left eye?

yes. My eyelid fills with water. It hasn't happened in years

Dr. Dan B. : Where was this cosmetic filler placed and when?

In the 11 lines above the bridge of my nose between my eye brows. around six years ago.

Dr. Dan B. : By where I mean what part of your face?
Dr. Dan B. : Is the filler still visible or palpable around the either eye?

no. not at all. If its flaring up i will feel pressure at the top my nose between my eyebrows and my eyelid will get a little swollen.

nope. Just woke up with one blurry eye. Although I did find night driving difficult yesterday. There were starbursts coming off all the lights.

Had a slight headache last night but i had severe anxiety when I realized my vision was blurry. It went away when I calmed down.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay. Well, aside from the history of the filler, your review of your symptoms is pretty unremarkable. My concern is for something wrong with your retina. Would you consider yourself a type A personality (easily stressed out, high strung, worried a lot)?

lol. I wouldn't but other people might consider me type A. Sometimes I am type A. But not at all a hypocondriac.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay, thanks for being willing to self-examine :) As I said before, my concern is that there might be swelling in the retina that is causing your blurred vision. This is the most common reason for someone your age, who is possibly type A, and otherwise doesn't have any other significant symptoms. I would recommend trying to see an ophthalmologist in the next few days, if possible and if you're able, a retinal specialist would be the best kind of ophthalmologist to see.
Dr. Dan B. : Does this make sense?

ok, What would cause the swelling. I don't have high blood pressure.

Dr. Dan B. : Specifically, what I'm thinking of is called central serous retinopathy. This is a disorder of the choroid (tissues underlying the retina) where there is a small, pinpoint leakage of fluid that collects under the retina that can cause a discoloration to the vision and/or centralized blurring or blind spot. The etiology of this is unknown; there are no identifiable causes, but it tends to happen in the Type A personality for some reason. This diagnosis can be verified by your ophthalmologist who can do a fluorescein angiogram test (a test where some dye is injected into an IV in your arm and pictures are taken of your retina as the dye flows through the retinal blood vessels, enabling documentation of where there is leaking). Thankfully, CSR is a problem that usually fully resolves on its own over the course of 2-3 months and the resolution can even be hastened with the use of a laser if absolutely essential.There are other much less likely causes, but any of these diagnoses will require you to see your ophthalmologist to get these tests.  Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. Thanks so much. You have been very helpful.

Dr. Dan B. : My pleasure. Do you have any other questions about this?

No, I think you answered everything.

Dr. Dan B. : Okay great. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.   My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!