Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Yesterday, I poked the white of my eye with a pair of sharp

Yesterday, I poked the white of my eye with a pair of sharp tweezers (trying to get a curled under eyelash). It is still red (bloodshot) in that spot and very sore. Vision seems fine but it certainly aches when I move or blink my eye. Is there anything I can do to help it heal or, do I absolutely need to see a doctor about it?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How hard did you poke your eye?

Dr. Rick :

Other than the redness (which might be spreading) and the point tenderness at the spot, do you have any other symptoms -- such as sensitivity to light, your pupil being out of round, etc?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick. Yes, I am available. It was a quick poke, I blinked and I think it was more of a scratch than a poke. Pupil seems normal. I don't seem to have any sensitivity to light. I do have a bit of a headache right above the eyes. Perhaps that is from a little light sensitivity.

Customer:

It feels more dry than watery, if that helps.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry. The Grand daughter was crying.....and I've drawn baby duty for the morning.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be OK. It sounds like may have nicked a conjunctival blood vessal and maybe cut the skin (conjunctiva) a bit.

Customer:

Aw, that's ok, hahaQ

Dr. Rick :

This will heal just fine.

Dr. Rick :

You can, as you already mentioned, use artificial tears to sooth your eye and it should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, to be 110% sure, you should see an ophthalmologist next week...but, no trip to the ER needed :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it does. It was the ER trip that I was unsure about. I will make an appointment next week. Thank you so much for your help.

Dr. Rick :

Now she is reaching for the keyboard.....aren't babies fun?

Customer:

Yes, they are! You have to enjoy them when you can because they grow up before you know it!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure...have a good weekend/

Dr. Rick :

Exactly!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

You too