Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Yesterday, I poked the white of my eye with a pair of sharp

Yesterday, I poked the white of my eye with a pair of sharp tweezers (trying to get a curled under eyelash). It is still red (bloodshot) in that spot and very sore. Vision seems fine but it certainly aches when I move or blink my eye. Is there anything I can do to help it heal or, do I absolutely need to see a doctor about it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How hard did you poke your eye?

Dr. Rick :

Other than the redness (which might be spreading) and the point tenderness at the spot, do you have any other symptoms -- such as sensitivity to light, your pupil being out of round, etc?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick. Yes, I am available. It was a quick poke, I blinked and I think it was more of a scratch than a poke. Pupil seems normal. I don't seem to have any sensitivity to light. I do have a bit of a headache right above the eyes. Perhaps that is from a little light sensitivity.

Customer:

It feels more dry than watery, if that helps.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry. The Grand daughter was crying.....and I've drawn baby duty for the morning.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be OK. It sounds like may have nicked a conjunctival blood vessal and maybe cut the skin (conjunctiva) a bit.

Customer:

Aw, that's ok, hahaQ

Dr. Rick :

This will heal just fine.

Dr. Rick :

You can, as you already mentioned, use artificial tears to sooth your eye and it should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, to be 110% sure, you should see an ophthalmologist next week...but, no trip to the ER needed :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it does. It was the ER trip that I was unsure about. I will make an appointment next week. Thank you so much for your help.

Dr. Rick :

Now she is reaching for the keyboard.....aren't babies fun?

Customer:

Yes, they are! You have to enjoy them when you can because they grow up before you know it!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure...have a good weekend/

Dr. Rick :

Exactly!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

You too

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.