Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I took a spring to the eye area yesterday (if it hit my eye

I took a spring to the eye area yesterday (if it hit my eye it was with eyelids closed. My vision blurred and pupil constricted but within 15 min vision was 100% clear. Full vision, full range of motion, no blood, no visible damage to the eye. The only noticeable issue today is that my pupil still is not matching the other eye. In low light it is noticeably smaller but in normal or bright light it matches the other pupil exactly.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about this spring. What kind was it? Sharp? How much force did it have as it struck your eye?

Dr. Rick :

Does looking at a light hurt?

Dr. Rick :

Even though your pupil in the hurt eye is smaller, would you say it is still round in shape?

Customer:

it was about 4" long 1" diameter, was compressed in a spring holder and let loose. Hit pretty good but mostly on my upper cheek bone, I have a tender area there but no bruising. Looking at light is fine. Pupil is round yes.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sounds like your cheek bone saved you.

Customer:

I would agree.. ;-)

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, I think you are going to be OK.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, I would sleep better if you consulted an ophthalmologist early next week (Monday would be best) for a full eye exam just to make sure your retina etc is OK.

Customer:

is this a normal thing after an injury and do you think it will return to normal?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you need to go to the ER today.

Customer:

ok, that helps

Customer:

is there anything i should look out for until then?

Dr. Rick :

If the pupil fibers are torn, they may never return to normal....but, I don't think they are. I think it is --for lack of a better term -- "stunned" right now.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. If your vision changes, you start to see flashing lights or lot of spots floating around in your visual field or a curtain coming across the vision in that eye from any direction you should see an eye doctor immediately....

Dr. Rick :

And wear safety glasses from now on when messing with that spring compressing contraption of yours :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, and you answered the biggest question as to whether I needed the ER right now or if it could wait till next week

Dr. Rick :

That's why they pay me the big bucks.....oh. Wait. That is on my day job ;)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend.