Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I ran across a product on the web that purports to support

I ran across a product on the web that purports to support eye health. Please let me know your opinion. I am in front of a computer all day and am particularly worried that the blue light may be causing me eyesight damage http://www.truehealth.com/healthy-vision-complete

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me go to the web site....BRB

Customer:

OK

Dr. Rick :

hold on.....had a computer glitch....let me try again.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

got it.

Dr. Rick :

While it is true that a study, named AREDS, showed that certain vitamins are helpful in a SPECIFIC DISEASE known as dry age-related macular degeneration, there is NO evidence that these, or any other eye vitamins are helpful in any way, shape or form toward preventing eye damage or improving the status of your eyes.

Customer:

I don't know if this url is too long for you to click on, and there is a LOT of information but it sounds very interesting especially Dr. Cutler's opinion of the three nutrients. Perhaps you could scan it.

Customer:

Here'

Dr. Rick :

So, in my professional opinion, these tablets are an un necessary cost.

Customer:

's an expert from hat site:

You only need THREE nutrients to ensure sharper vision…

There are only three nutrients with an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence they will improve your vision and protect your eyes for years to come:

The ideal amount

1. Lutein..................................20 mg

2. Astaxanthin...........................4 mg

3. Zeaxanthin............................4 mg

Take Lutein, for example: Vision supplement makers must think we’re going blind. That we can’t plainly see the fraud they are committing. They make all these claims about “improving vision” with Lutein, and then only give you 5 or 10 mg. What a sham! They know as well as I do that the most impressive clinical studies used more Lutein.

Dr. Rick :

Also their statements "

. UV light rays, free-radicals from environmental pollutants, and simple wear and tear. By simply using the right nutrients, you can fight back-and support healthy vision.

As an added bonus, astaxanthin and zeaxanthin-also in new and improved Healthy Vision Complete™-combat eye fatigue and eyestrain, particularly helpful in these days of heavy computer and mobile phone use.

Altogether, new and improved Healthy Vision Complete™ helps your eyes adjust faster between near and far objects, adapt to darkness quickly, and most importantly, maintain your macular health - for ongoing healthy vision."

Dr. Rick :

Is a bunch of BS.

Dr. Rick :

If you want the AREDS eye vitamin formula (although as I pointed out healthy people will gain nothing by taking it) you can get more pills for less money at Walgreens:

Customer:

Thanks for info. I sit at my computer staring at screen for 8 - 10 hours per day. Can this damage my eyes long term?

Dr. Rick :

they are taking a truthful eye study for treating one eye disease and combing that data with outright lies to take you money......

Dr. Rick :

Do not waste your hard earned cash on this stuff.

Dr. Rick :

And, as a retina specialist, I can assure you that you do not need any special supplement to protect your eyes from blue light....you eyes take care of that protection quite well by themselves.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes. So staring at a computer screen all day won't put me at any more risk for eye disease than someone who doesn't?

Dr. Rick :

No. You can sit at your computer for weeks on end, you can read in the dark and sit within six inches of the TV and -- unlike what your mom might have told you -- your eyes will not be harmed at all.

Customer:

OK. Thanks for the information. I'll give you top rating!

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. Working all day at the computer will not harm your eyes.