Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Ive been wearing contacts (never worn glasses) for about 13

I've been wearing contacts (never worn glasses) for about 13 years now, and using Focus Dailies since then . The last time my prescription changed was about 8 years ago. At that time, my right eye went from a -3.50 to -3.75. I began wearing my new lenses (same brand, different power) and noticed that I would experience "ghosting" in my right eye at night, but not when I was exposed to brighter light. My optometrist said this was due to the fact that my pupils dilated larger than the corrective area of the lens, and offered no solutions. Eventually I learned to deal with the ghosting to where it was not noticeable.

Recently, I've noticed that when using my right eye only that I seem to have a bit of trouble focusing at a distance. I can still see 20/20, but if I'm only using my right eye it takes me a second to get it right. I've also noticed the "ghosting" seems to have returned. My last eye exam was a few months ago.

My questions: Could the ghosting/focus issue be related?
If the ghosting is related to my pupil size, is there another brand of lenses that could potentially work better?
I've read about astigmatism being a cause of both of these issues, is this a possibility as well?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It might be that your Rx is slightly stronger than you need on the minus side. This could cause the issues with your focusing. You might also notice some blurry vision when driving at night on a dark road.

If your pupils get so large that they are bigger then the area on the contact then one solution would be to wear glasses. No contacts will have a larger optical area....

I suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist (eye MD) for a second opinion to see if anything else can be done.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX viewing area of the contacts, is there a way to measure the pupil vs the viewing area of the lens?

I find it strange that this problem first occurred when I began wearing a "stronger" lens.

yes. The data on the specific contacts will give the optical zone size in millimeters.

You can have a friend measure your pupil size in a dark room by shining a dim flashlight at an angle up on your chin and placing a mm ruler right next to your pupil. If you ask your eye doctor maybe she will give you, or loan you, a mm pupil ruler that uses different round circles to measure pupil size.

Of course, your eye doctor can do this measurement for you....

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS