Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

After using a new eye cream a fews days ago I am experiencing

After using a new eye cream a fews days ago I am experiencing what seems to be little pimples with whiteheads along my upper lashline and even tinier white bumps along my lower lash line. The ones on top are painful and enflamed, but the ones on the bottom are not. I also have a few tiny (almost microscopic) bumps on the skin of my eyelids. The inner corners of my eyes that are usually white and produce, for a lack of a better term "eye boogers", are now red with tiny white spots. Is this an allergic reaction or could it be an eye infection?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 9 months ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is unlikely to be an eye infection .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The tiny white pimples along the upper and lower eyelsh margin are likely to be blocked meibomian glands. These are modified sebaceous glands present in the lids. These can get inflammed and cause pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are already taking the correct treatment in the form of warm compresses thrice a day and baby shampoo lid scrubs.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Continue the same for 3 to 4 weeks. You can also use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Look out for increase in redness in the eye excessive discharge. If seen then do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look and start of antibiotic eye drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Natalia,

Here is an image showing tiny white pimple like lesions along the margin of the eyelids-

graphic
The tiny white bumps seen on the skin of the eyelids are called as milia. These can occur due to application of cosmetics/sunscreens/creams/lotions which can block the tiny pores present in the skin and prevent the sloughing of the dead epidermal skin cells. Though treatment is not required in most cases as these are harmless. However for cosmetic reasons, there are treatment options available such as dermabrasion/chemical peeling/cryotherapy. These treatment options are done by a dermatologist. But these are more suitable for skin elsewhere on the face and not preferred for milia on the eyelids.

Image showing milia on the upperlid-

graphic

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince