Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had tear duct surgery six weeks ago and everything was fine

I had tear duct surgery six weeks ago and everything was fine at month checkup. I take Plavix and baby aspirin and have had no problem until tonight. I noticed my eye is full of blood. Will it go away on its own if I rest my eyes or what should I do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any pain or blurred vision in that eye?

Customer:

No

Customer:

I'm available to chat and no I don't have blurred vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be a sub conjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a brief mote on it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.You can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks , for soothening effect( available over the counter).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you are on anti coagulants, you have had this episode of sub conjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However continue with the medicines and use the lubricating eye drops. The bleed will resolve over a week naturally.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you in this regard?

Customer:

No, you've reassured me. Thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist