Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How come my dr didnt diagnose me with Ramsey hunt syndrome

How come my dr didn't diagnose me with Ramsey hunt syndrome only shingles. My symptoms is ear eye and facial. No rash or blisters... Face numbness... Hearing muffled. 3 days ago I had pain but that is gone.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

There are three different types of Ramsey Hunt Syndromes.

From your post I believe you are talking about RH2.....

I am not sure why your doctor did not diagnose you with this condition. There could be many reasons, not the least of which is that Ramsey hunt syndrome II can have a varied presentation so, perhaps, your symptoms were not all that clear/classical. Also, this is a very rare condition that is mostly diagnosed by ENT doctors and ophthalmologists with many physicians having never seen it....

In any event, from what you have posted, you are on the correct therapy at this time. Hopefully, like the vast majority of patients with this painful condition, you will make a full recovery in time and avoid any permanent loss of hearing or facial weakness.

In my experience, and I have treated a number of patients with this condition over the last two decades, what residual issues you have four to six months after the initial outbreak will be what you can expect to be left with.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS