Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a scleral buckle in my eye, installed 18 years ago to

I have a scleral buckle in my eye, installed 18 years ago to deal with a serious retinal detachment. How long do they last. will it have to be replaced at any point?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist and put scleral buckles on patient almost every week.

The can last a lifetime.

If you are not having any problems with the scleral buckle it can just stay where it is. There is no need to replace it or mess with it.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS