Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My drs have no idea whats wrong with me. Vision loss right eye. Headache.Mri showed

My drs have no idea what's wrong with me. Vision loss right eye. Headache.Mri showed ethmoid sinusitis. After being on antibiotics for 8 days right eye swelled red painful. Changed to stronger antibiotic. Been off antibiotic for 2wks. Still run low grade fever heavy feeling in eye vision hasn't improved. Opthamologist can't find anything wrong. Am hypothyroid and on levothryoxine. Narcoleptic and on provigil. It's beenalmost 2 months with vision loss. I asked to be referred to an ent if the think it is sinus related. Appt is nov 7. Any ideas?
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. I am especially concerned about the loss of vision that the eye doctors have not been able to figure out, even two months later.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists, including ENTs, who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The opthimogist I saw twice told me he thought the University Hospital wouldn't have an answer either...but to come back and see him in 6 wks. Should I get an appointment set up and if the ent I see on the 7th figures it out, cancel the University appt?

If you have an appointment at a University center, I would keep it.

An exam by an ENT is a good idea, but at a University setting you could see the ENT at 9 am, the neurologist at 11 am and the neuro-ophthalmologist at 1 pm and any other expert necessary at 3 pm without ever leaving the building.

I think a coordinated team approach is the best way for you to proceed at this point.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.